• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quitting smoking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting smoking

Been off the fags for 4 weeks now. I thought I would feel great but the last 4 weeks , my breathing has been worse, coughing up loads of phlegm and I still feel worse than I did when i smoked. Easing up now but I seriously thought I had fcked me breathers for good

Been told this is normal and can happen when you stop smoking 35+.

Anyway to extract the good from it, I have had a month taster what chronic brionchitis or emphysema woudl be like, so that shoudl be more than enough to keep off the sticks for the rest of my days

Anybody else experienced similar?

Sunny "Splutter and Spit" san
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

I'm on patches at the moment and it is sometimes rough, sometimes easier. I wasn't a particularly heavy smoker though.

I miss my smoke breaks, what a fellow smoker and I used to call "Development meetings"

Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
      Been off the fags for 4 weeks now. I thought I would feel great but the last 4 weeks , my breathing has been worse, coughing up loads of phlegm and I still feel worse than I did when i smoked. Easing up now but I seriously thought I had fcked me breathers for good

Been told this is normal and can happen when you stop smoking 35+.

Anyway to extract the good from it, I have had a month taster what chronic brionchitis or emphysema woudl be like, so that shoudl be more than enough to keep off the sticks for the rest of my days

Yep - All the cilia (small hairs in your breathing tubes) are all gummed up with tar from smoking which is sticky and that attracts bugs like flypaper. Now what's happening is that all that tar is starting to loosen up with you not smoking (hence the coughing) and all those germs which were stuck to that tar for years in relative safety are starting to trickle into your throat and lungs - hence the illnesses. Nothing you can do but to let it happen. It does go within 6 weeks or so.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Yes apparently the hairs in the lung, which do the cleaning get covered in tar and die, when you stop smoking, they start to come back to life . Basically your lungs are cleaning themselves.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

bear with it, it gets better after a short while, depends on how much you were smoking before you gave up.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Heavy

Was about 7-10 or so a day, which is not particularly heavy

Have given up a few times before, never had this amount of grief.

Well they do say every time is different, so I am hoping this time was sufficiently sh1te to prevent me ever smoking again

Now... let me catch my breath after that bit of speed typing
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Been off the fags for 4 weeks now. I thought I would feel great but the last 4 weeks , my breathing has been worse, coughing up loads of phlegm and I still feel worse than I did when i smoked. ..
              A few months ago I accidently bought a packet of Silk Cut blues, having asked the colour-blind cretin for purples, and found that despite having half the nicotine and tar of purples they were actually OK (although I tend to smoke a few more every day).

But Silk Cut Silvers are a bridge too far, as I have to draw so hard my ear drums pop, and last time I was on them it was costing a fortune in shirts. (They're more loosely packed, and lumps of ember would fall off the end and burn a hole in the front of my shirt! )
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I intend to increase my fag consumption to make up for you.

Comment

Stick with it and best of luck.

I will try on Jan 1st and this time it's got to work. I'm too feckin' old to smoke now

Comment

Yes, it is just your lungs starting to clear themselves out now that you have stopped pumping toxic gas into them.

Keep at it. I have stopped since the beginning of September (with only a few lapses ) I do like smoking but it is such a pain in the arse to keep having to go outside for a smoke whenever you are anywhere that I can't really be bothered any more.

Comment

Working...
                    X