• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

International bank account advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International bank account advice

I'm currently in the situation where I've lived in 3 different countries (Australia, UK, currently Germany) in the last 3 years. Consequently I now have 5 different bank accounts and 2 share dealing accounts spread around. This is becoming difficult to manage as neither the UK or Australian banks/online brokers seem to understand the concept of anything 'international'.
    Eg. the UK bank told me I'd have to physically come into a branch to arrange an international transfer of money to my German account, and the Australian online broker would end up charging me a reasonable fraction of the (current) worth of my UK shares to transfer them over.

I was thinking of consolidating my accounts with a Swiss Cantonal bank, but does anyone know how I'd go about this? I'd be looking for both a savings account and share dealing, and preferably the option to hold money in different currencies (although the amount I have may be too small for them to offer this). The total amount would currently only be a bit over 10k Euros.

Any advice appreciated

Working...
X