• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mind if i vent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mind if i vent

had a reunion dinner with some old friends a couple of nights ago....

one guy doing pretty well for himself i guess, just been promoted to Director of a large division of Microsoft

continually refers to it all night, joked some line about paying 40% tax

generally smug as **** all night, never liked the guy, but just part of the same group from ages back, I left the night early as he was annoying me so much

why are some people such arseholes?!

He won't be so smug when he gets cancer of the willy and his wife humps his 'best friend' during his tragic illness.

Comment

I'm smug because I pay very little tax. If anybody is smug about paying 40% then they are pretty stupid.
      Last edited by Cyberman; 24 December 2008, 00:16. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

one guy doing pretty well for himself i guess, just been promoted to Director of a large division of Microsoft

generally smug as **** all night, never liked the guy, but just part of the same group from ages back, I left the night early as he was annoying me so much

As they play the game and ass kiss - thats all!

Hence why you will seldom find GOOD skilled people at the top! They just take the credit for the hard work the people below do.

Comment

Hmmmm - the question here isn't why are some people such ar*eholes, it's why did you feel so inadequate?

You're an IT Contractor yeah? You're probably coming out with money than him surely!
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

You could have always boasted about being your own boss, deciding when you go into work, how much you pay yourself... etc. etc. The next time you meet him, take your company bank statement and ask him if his bank balance is the same or bigger... then the smugness will be wiped of his face.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              I'm smug because I pay very little tax. If anybody is smug about paying 40% then they are pretty stupid.
              WHS

I thought these VIPs (very important permies) were essential to making us feel smug?
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

You could also point out that because of the recession, open source software is going to reduce Microsoft sales by a vast amount. So his bonus will be inversely proportional to the size of his ego.
                When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, do you know which Microsoft office this chap is based at?

Comment

We have a blokes day out every year. Started mostly as a group of us who knew each other from school/Uni and had expanded to include anyone who wants to tag along.

Some still live locally, some travelling back for xmas. We have all had varied degrees of success in our careers, in fact some are still in academia (although this has become their career). No one gives a flip about how much anyone else earns!

If any one of that group started playing billy big balls about money they would get all manner of abuse hurled their way.

If you catch up with a group of mates you haven't seen in ages and end up discussing cash something has gone seriously wrong in your priorities.

Topics of discussion are limited to;

Previous tours of duty (sport)
                    The time someone was found wandering naked through the halls of residence
                    That minger someone got off with... you know the one
                    How you can't take you booze any more

but money... never

Comment

Working...
                    X