• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being forced to become a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being forced to become a contractor

If you are a permie, how legal is it for your boss to come to you one day and say "At the end of the month, you will become a contractor. You will then contract your work to us"?

...OK who walked over the IR35 trolls bridge?
    Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Erm, about 0%. They are effectivly making you redundant with all the legal bits and pieces that entails.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post
        If you are a permie, how legal is it for your boss to come to you one day and say "At the end of the month, you will become a contractor. You will then contract your work to us"?
        It's illegal. It's them trying to find a way to get rid of you on the cheap. Tell them that they are effectively sacking you. Go and speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau and get some proper advise on how to progress, and do it quick.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Oh this happened earlier this year, and I left them a couple of days later with a nice shiny new contract for more money somewhere else.

I was just curious as they forced everyone in the company to become contractors.

Comment

I think you should weigh up:

1. How much redundancy you will get from permie employer.
            2. What sort of contracting rate you can shaft employer with.
            3. How much you can sue employer for because he has broken the law.

Take the better of the 3 options.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Don't forget if you go with option 2, you're likely to be out fairly quickly anyway.....
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

COuldn't agree more with the above posts. they're not "forcing you to become a contractor".
                they're sacking you without due notice or redundancy pay
                OTOH they're also giving you another job.

Do the maths and see what your best route would be.

Comment

At the time I did say to him that he was effectively making me redundant and that this was my 4 weeks notice. He assured me that I was wrong, that it was going to be mutually beneficial for both myself and the company etc etc. Blah blah.

That was on the Wednesday, the next day I got a call from an agent about a good contracting position and they set an interview up for the following day.

The next day I had the interview and at 4:30 on that Friday afternoon I left two letters of resignation and walked out to start my contracting career on the Monday.

That was in March and I haven't looked back. Well apart from the point where I was benched for 6 weeks at the end of October, but I have another contract to cover me until the middle of January.

Comment

The purpose of your original post was?

I had similar happen to me in June this year, but they tried to make me work the three months notice period in my contract I walked three days after they told me i was redundant.

Been contracting ever since, my bank manager has loved me ever since.....
                    Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Working...
                    X