• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Went in Woolworths - spooky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went in Woolworths - spooky

Loads of bare shelves, and big boards as you went in advertising "all furniture and fittings for sale". We joked about whether that includes the tills and the tannoy system... but the thing is it probably does.

After getting used to seeing shops with "closing down" signs that never seem to close, it was very interesting to actually see a big store really desperate to sell everything on (and including) the shelves.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    it was very interesting to actually see a big store really desperate to sell everything on (and including) the shelves.
    I am sure you will find it more interesting in the New Year when all the IT contractors (and permies) laid off by this and other shops will be on the market. It's all linked you know - if the final sellers can't make money by selling to consumers then the "service" economy is bit fooked.

Comment

It's awfully sad.

Makes me wonder what will happen to the stores. There's a Woolies on nearly every high street in the UK. What will become of them. Giant 'Pound Shops'?

Entirely symptomatic of this broken, bankrupt country.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I used to date the owner's daughter in the 90s.

She was a fox.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Giant 'Pound Shops'?

Euro

Pound will go below euro in the near year, remember - you heard it on here first...

Comment

Loads of bare shelves, and big boards as you went in advertising "all furniture and fittings for sale". We joked about whether that includes the tills and the tannoy system... but the thing is it probably does.

After getting used to seeing shops with "closing down" signs that never seem to close, it was very interesting to actually see a big store really desperate to sell everything on (and including) the shelves.

Funny how they want to sell the shelves but the Xbox's & PS3's along with the entire games catalogue remains at normal price.

When I went in on Sunday I was one of many wondering around mumbling "what sale?"
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              When I went in on Sunday I was one of many wondering around mumbling "what sale?"
              Today, everything seemed to be on 50% or greater reduction, but there was not a lot left. There were even stickers on some of the shelves and other furniture noting they had been sold... I guess anyone looking to expand their shop could have got some bargain stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                It's awfully sad.

Makes me wonder what will happen to the stores. There's a Woolies on nearly every high street in the UK. What will become of them. Giant 'Pound Shops'?

Entirely symptomatic of this broken, bankrupt country.
                Yeah it is sad and it would suck to see them replaced with that type of store, I'd rather see Tescos than "PoundLand" shops. It will be a big ugly hole on many high-streets though for sure until they get bought up.

Comment

Today, everything seemed to be on 50% or greater reduction, but there was not a lot left.
                  That's why they finally reduced it "all" to 50% or even more - they (administrators) are not stupid to give out good stuff at such discount.

Comment

I haven't set foot in Woolworths for at least 10 years. I guess I never will again.

Capitalism works.

Comment

Working...
                    X