• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PMs hit hard in current market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMs hit hard in current market?

So Xmas Eve morning got a call on a role I applied 3 weeks back. All of a sudden they want 5th and 6th Jan starts - anyway they wanted an interview on the afternoon which I couldnt do due to various reason so will have it on the coming Monday.

Whilst talking to the agent we just touched on Market conditions and rates and all. He basically is witnessing PM's being hit first? He said that those that were on the £500 to £650 a day Project Management roles were now accpeting and being put forward for £400 - £475 and taking them.

Obv PM's are dime a dozen anyway but surely it will be a matter of time before the wider gets hit MORE severely[although from looking about it has been hit OBV already].

How much are people willing to work for if you was on the £650 a day previous?

In Jan 2001 as a Java Developer i was on 75ph.
    In October 2002 i was earning 36ph.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post

Crickey - what did it recover to say in 2007 [early] ?

Comment

My worst rate in the last ten years was £250 per day for a PHP contract in 2005. I'm currently lined up for a perl contract, working away from home in Bath (hence B&B costs), for £240 a day. Diabolical!

I'm wondering whether to skip that one and wait for a better opportunity, but suppose one doesn't turn up or the competition is so fierce it's almost pot luck. A bird in the hand and all that ...
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

yup it is more likely to get worse than better. I think the strategy should be to survive 2009. On low rates it is difficult to fill the war chest, but I think a lot of us will be seeing bench time.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
            Obv PM's are dime a dozen anyway but surely it will be a matter of time before the wider gets hit MORE severely[although from looking about it has been hit OBV already].
            ..all depends what your definition of a PM is I suppose.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

See my other post for my specific views on the overall market, but in context of this thread, yes, its definitely a case of rates coming down.

I've spoken with many recruiters lately, and they're all telling me the same thing, that rates are generally heading down for all but the most specific, and niche, roles.

Add to that, there are many people who've been put out of work lately, so a lot more supply onto the market, along with a general tightening of demand, with many non-core projects being put on hold, and you have a weak market.

Couple this with a general lack of consumer and business confidence, and it may be some time before things come back to a sense of normality. A good website that graphically depicts this is:

www.jobstats.co.uk

Rob.

Comment

1999-2000 I was on £650 a day . 2001 I was being offered remarkable dull work at £350 a day. I went into permie management.

Nowadays, I'd rest for a few months, allow the dust to settle, then take what I could get.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  ..all depends what your definition of a PM is I suppose.
                  I know, I know this one!

See that guy on the bench...over there... yes him....the one that's not Indian or Chinese......that's a UK based project manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
                    In Jan 2001 minimum national wage was £3.70 ph (main rate just increased from £3.60 ph).

In Oct 2002 minimum national wage was £4.10 ph.

Source: HM Govt

Conclusions everyone makes for oneself according to ones character.

Comment

Working...
                    X