• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Chav' names feared by teachers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Chav' names feared by teachers

Went to the TES site in question and had a read. Found a wonderful quote in another thread: "The Labour politicians who promote it send their own kids to private schools, where there is certainly no howling half-wit squealing and rocking in the chair."

Anyways I digress from my thread, before it even starts...

Daily Mail

What's in a name? asked Shakespeare - indicating that it doesn't really matter what you are called.
    But many teachers emphatically disagree - declaring that they can tell from the 'chav' names parents give to their children that they are likely to be little devils at school.

From Adrienne and Poppy, to Ashley and Troy, the contributors to a website for teachers have compiled a list of girls' and boys' names they automatically associate with troublesome behaviour.

The names alone were enough to fill the staff with dread as they read through their new registers at the start of this term.

Teachers also fear names with a hyphen, such as Bobbi-Jo and Jean-Marie. Variants of common names - for example, Kloe and Hollee - inspire similar trepidation.

An online discussion running to 20 web pages started when one teacher wrote on the Times Educational Supplement Internet site: 'I went through my new class list and mentally circled the ones I thought would be difficult. I reckon I have a 75 per cent hit rate.'

The name that 'inspired the most dread' was Paige. Subsequent contributors listed their own most feared appellations - ranging from Storm to Nokia. One scathingly claimed such youngsters are from 'chav' backgrounds.

These are the girls' names that made the teachers blanch - some with comments attached: Adrienne (kiss of death - spiteful, sneaky or both), Alanna, Ashleigh, Britney, Candice, Chantelle (spawn of the devil), Chelsie, Chelseigh, Chloe (nasty, spiteful).

Cindy (always a pain in the a**e) Courtney, Cortnee, Cortnie (trouble), Danielle (a nightmare), Jade, Jodie, Jordan (pretty bad for a girl), Kayleigh (a pain), Keeley, Keira (live in fear), Kimberley, Kylie, Leanne, Leigh, Lou-Lou,

Mia, Paige, Poppy (hyperactive and not very bright), Stacey, Tyler (lesson disrupter).

And these are the boys' names that the teachers most fear: Ashley, Chayse, Conor, Connor (a nightmare), Curtis, Damon, Declan, Dillon/Dylan, Dwayne (a terror), Grant, Jordan, Josh (arrogant, nasty, selfish.

Kade, Kane, Kieron, Kyle (always spells trouble), Liam (always a bad lad), Mason (a horror), Mitchell, Myles, Painton, Rhys / Reece (a nightmare), Ryan, Scott (live in fear), Shane (a terror), Troy, Tyler (lesson disrupter), Wayne (a terror).

But parents failed to see the funny side when news of the blacklist spread to bounty.com - a website designed for mothers.

One contributor branded the teachers 'appalling' and 'sub-standard' for judging pupils by their names, adding: 'If this is what my children will face when they start school, then I might as well home educate.

'I'm sorry, but as teachers you shouldn't be doing this. It's verging on bullying, which teachers are meant to be against.'

One mother even contacted the Department for Education and Skills, declaring: 'I and many other parents are disgusted by the attitudes or the teachers on the forum.

'I realise this is a small number of teachers, but they have taken time out of their day to post these comments and I presume ... they actually mean what they are saying'.

The row follows Government research suggesting pupils' names are linked to differing success rates in exams.

Children with middle-class names such as Katharine and Duncan were up to eight times more likely to pass their GCSEs than Waynes and Dwaines.

Girls called Katharine were found to have gained the best results with Madeleines coming second.

In contrast, Waynes, Dwaines, Duanes, Jermaines and Lances came bottom.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

When did Ashley, Josh, Grant and Scott become chav names?!
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Ashley - poof
      Josh - poof
      Grant - poof
      Scott - poof

In contrast, Waynes, Dwaines, Duanes, Jermaines and Lances came bottom
      Ar$e bandits.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

But there is a difference between having a poofy name (Oi, I objective to that!) and having a Chav name.

And since when did teachers become the bastion of middle-class tradition? Most of them are pretty common.
        Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
          But there is a difference between having a poofy name (Oi, I objective to that!) and having a Chav name.

And since when did teachers become the bastion of middle-class tradition? Most of them are pretty common.
          So which one are you then Wage?

Ashley - poof
          Josh - poof
          Grant - poof
          Scott - poof
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Adrienne
            Poppy
            Ashley
            Troy
            Bobbi-Jo
            Jean-Marie
            Kloe
            Hollee
            Storm
            Nokia
            Adrienne
            Alanna
            Ashleigh
            Britney
            Candice
            Chantelle
            Chelsie
            Chelseigh
            Chloe
            Cindy
            Courtney
            Cortnee
            Cortnie
            Danielle
            Jade
            Jodie
            Jordan
            Kayleigh
            Keeley
            Keira
            Kimberley
            Kylie
            Leanne
            Leigh
            Lou-Lou
            Mia
            Paige
            Poppy
            Stacey
            Tyler

Ashley
            Chayse
            Conor
            Connor
            Curtis
            Damon
            Declan
            Dillon/Dylan
            Dwayne
            Grant
            Jordan
            Josh
            Kade
            Kane
            Kieron
            Kyle
            Liam
            Mason
            Mitchell
            Myles
            Painton
            Rhys / Reece
            Ryan
            Scott
            Shane
            Troy
            Tyler
            Wayne
            Dwaines
            Duanes
            Jermaines
            Lances

Sounds like a standard pupil sample from a "new" Liebour skool.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Children with middle-class names such as Katharine and Duncan were up to eight times more likely to pass their GCSEs than Waynes and Dwaines.
              Doesn't this support the teachers' point?

I think there is something depressing about parents who cannot spell the name they have chosen for their offspring (Chelsie? Chelseigh?!?! Kloe, Cortnee, Cortnie, Reece ...). The child has got these abhorances on their birth certificate for life.

Why not go the whole hog and call them Slappa, Gyt, or Tossa?

Still, there but for the grace of God go I.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                Nokia
                Good one.

I like the name Mercedes-Chardonnay. Classy, isn't it?
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Do people really name their children Nokia these days?

Courtney
                  Cortnee
                  Cortnie

What about Caughtknee? or even Courtknee?

Comment

Or CorkKnee even?

Comment

Working...
                    X