• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House swap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House swap

I was reading about the growing trend for people to swap homes rather than sell and buy another home. Added benefits were simple chain, no estate agent fees and no stamp duty (except on the difference in value between the houses).

I see that the New Lie have changed the law on swapping properties and the full stamp duty is due on the full value of both houses.

"After completion, you must send a Land Transaction Return to the Revenue and Customs Stamp Taxes Office providing details of the value of the house you have acquired.

Previously, stamp duty was normally only payable on the amount of any balancing payment.

If the difference in value of two exchanged properties was less than the lowest threshold for the payment of stamp duty, nothing was payable by either owner.

However that all changed when the government introduced Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) in 2003.

Now, only limited categories of exchanges of property are exempt from SDLT. An exchange between private individuals is not one of them. "

Which was nice.

I wonder what other little tax tweaks go unnoticed by the great unwashed?

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    I wonder what other little tax tweaks go unnoticed by the great unwashed?
    Sadly all of them Mr Prawn as they don't pay any.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The best way round a house swap then is just leave ownerhip as it is.

....and wait for a new government.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

can you not "give" your house to someone else?
        and, completely unrelated of course, you get "given" a house by the people you just happen to have given a house to?
        Or is it a bit too obvious?
        Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I'll "give" you one Beccy if you "give" me one 1st.

Comment

sorry DP I can't - we'll be taxed
            Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
              can you not "give" your house to someone else?
              and, completely unrelated of course, you get "given" a house by the people you just happen to have given a house to?
              Or is it a bit too obvious?
              Don't know about that. But you could change your name to theirs and get them to change to your name.

It would certainly confuse the tax man.

Comment

If you change your name and company name to quite long ones, the field in the normal database is only so wide, hence they have to handle your records specially, which basically means they will lose them more often.

threaded in "imaginative ways to reduce the tax burden" mode
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                X