• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New theory of gravity causing a stir

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New theory of gravity causing a stir

Maybe a bit of good news for a change.

From the 1950s and earlier physicists have struggled, so far almost entirely in vain, to incorporate gravity in their theories and to explain why it is so much weaker than the other four known forces. These have all long since been unified in a theory called the Standard Model.

Now a recently released paper, which can be found on the ArXiv here, is causing a big stir. I don't pretend to understand much of it, but the gist seems to be that gravity is the result of space, empty or otherwise, comprising a sea of "relic" neutrinos each of which is (in the manner of quantum theory) a bundle of spread out waves, and the overlaps between these wave bundles cause the neutrinos collectively to form a so-called superfluid.

Makes one wonder what will happen if the Universe keeps expanding and cooling, as it shows every sign of doing. Naively one would think these neutrinos will eventually decouple (becoming, in the author's words, "localized" particles) and consequently gravity will suddenly vanish, so that all matter literally falls apart.

Mind you, to put things in context, hardly a week goes by without some new physics theory being announced, and that's not including the kook theories (although this guy is clearly no kook, even if his idea turns out to contain a fatal flaw).
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 28 December 2008, 23:23.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    consequently gravity will suddenly vanish, so that all matter literally falls apart.
    Why those bozos have to experiment with stuff like that - making mini-sun on Earth, colliding particles to make mini-black hole, ffs - are they competing with each other who blows up this planet first?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Why those bozos have to experiment with stuff like that - making mini-sun on Earth, colliding particles to make mini-black hole, ffs - are they competing with each other who blows up this planet first?
      I'd guess neutrino superfluid localization ("freezing") of the kind this guy is discussing would occur only at an incredibly low temperature, such as 10-^20 degrees, which won't be attained naturally by the expansion of the Universe (currently at a balmy 4 K) for some equally mind-bogglingly long time, something like 10^50 years.

Also, even if it is ever produced in a lab, by magnetic cooling for example, presumably it would be stable because the surroundings would tend to heat it back to superfluid form. It would be like trying to keep dry ice in boiling water.

So in short, there's really nothing to worry about.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        So in short, there's really nothing to worry about.

Comment

It is called scientific research. Don't tell me that you are one of the ignoramuses who do not value scientific research.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I can't understand a word any of you are talking about!

The only "superfluid" I know of comes in a bottle from Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
              It is called scientific research. Don't tell me that you are one of the ignoramuses who do not value scientific research.
              I do value scientific research, but I don't like the idea of scientists going the route of creating black holes, mini-suns and now superfreezing tulip while they are still residing in this galaxy - this sort of research may yield instant unrecoverable consequences to the planet, the risks might be small but consequences are too harsh.

Comment

I do value scientific research, but I don't like the idea of scientists going the route of creating black holes, mini-suns and now superfreezing tulip while they are still residing in this galaxy - this sort of research may yield instant unrecoverable consequences to the planet, the risks might be small but consequences are too harsh.

I think you're overestimating the abilities of man.

He can't even conquer the concept of women as a force to be reckoned with, when it comes to being hen pecked or pussy whipped. They should do more scientific research into that first!

Still, if it means women may one day be able to avoid the droopy tit syndrome, I guess we're all winners.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

and yet you persist in crossing roads, where statistically you are far more likely to die.

Incidentally, the LHC is not permanently out of action. It is shut down for the winter because it costs to much in electricity to run. It will start up again when the price comes down in the spring. In the meantime they are making repairs.
                  When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
                    and yet you persist in crossing roads, where statistically you are far more likely to die.
                    Yes, but it's not the threat of having the whole planet (or even solar system) blown up - if I die I like to think my squirrels will be okay!

Originally posted by deano View Post
                    Incidentally, the LHC is not permanently out of action.

Looks like I have overpaid that scientist...

Comment

Working...
                    X