• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Park at my House

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Park at my House

So, was thinking of driving into town on Weds as am only working a half day but didn't want to pay through th enose for parking.
    Stumbled across Park at my House where you can rent a parking space in peoples drives.

Anyway, one of their blog posts claims someone has earned £25k in 12 months by renting out their parking space.

Not a bad Plan B.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Anyway, one of their blog posts claims someone has earned £25k in 12 months by renting out their parking space.
    Did the site owner make it up to try to encourage others?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Did the site owner make it up to try to encourage others?
      Wot, like a stock market analyst?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

When I was contracting in Guildford a few years ago, renting a place near the town centre, I got several notes through the letterbox asking if I was interested in renting my parking space during the working day.

Was quite common practice apparently, due to the number of commuters going into London, and most streets requiring parking permits.

Needed the space for my car as I used to walk to work, but it did occur to me to be an interesting way for people to earn some easy money if they didn't have a car or usually drove to work.

I wonder what proof they need that you're actually renting spaces that are yours!? Just find some empty properties, or neighbours without cars, and rent the parking spaces out. Cash up front of course, renewable annually, incase the property owners twig.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

So, was thinking of driving into town on Weds as am only working a half day but didn't want to pay through th enose for parking.
          Stumbled across Park at my House where you can rent a parking space in peoples drives.

Not a bad Plan B.
          If they rented this 'space' 5 days a week, every week then someone is paying £100/day to park in a driveway.

Obviously there is more to this than meets the eye. That example would more likely be a multiple space commercial operation and require planning permission.

In truth this plan b, would unlikely net more than a few quid a week, unless it's somewhere like the West End/City of London.

If you have a desireable, unused parking spot, then you can make something by renting privately. Gumtree is the place to advertise. That's how I rented a space in Docklands for £15/week last year for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            In truth this plan b, would unlikely net more than a few quid a week, unless it's somewhere like the West End/City of London.

I think I was offered around 100 quid a month on one of the notes I received.

It was a sum that I may have considered if the space was vacant, but certainly don't remember it being a huge amount, or I'd have parked the car at work instead of at home when I was only using it at weekends.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Thinking about it, if I was a car park operator, I would work with this website to determine areas where demand outstrips supply and then contact these individuals with a tasty offer.

This is assuming the car parks in that area have capacity to deal with this - better to rent empty spaces at any price, right?

Comment

Thinking about it, if I was a car park operator, I would work with this website to determine areas where demand outstrips supply and then contact these individuals with a tasty offer.

This is assuming the car parks in that area have capacity to deal with this - better to rent empty spaces at any price, right?
                I'm not that arsed about parking spaces, just wanted to say how much I like your signature!
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You are so friggin tight

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                    You are so friggin tight
                    Pot - kettle - black.

Jog on sunshine!

Comment

Working...
                    X