• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Installing SQL Virtual Machine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing SQL Virtual Machine

You would think it be a quick one wouldn't you ? Well there I am , with all the experience and all , trying to install a VM with SQL 2005 .. taking 4 days now..

0. Installed a Widows 03 VM.

1. Tried installing SQL from my archive sources... all installs besides workstations components which throws an error.

2. Searched for the error , couldn't find anything

3. Downloaded a Trial ISO hoping it would work with my key , the setup wont start with unexplained .net error. Googling for the error , no results.

4. Downloaded several times the SQL Eval extractor package ( an alternative to the ISO you download from ms.com)

6. Trying to remain calm. Going for a pack of fags although having managed to remain smoke-free for 2 months.

5. The extractable package wont install because there is not enough space on C. ( While I am installing on a drive which has 200 gigs free. ). Spending time cleaning up C . Enough space freed , install throws th same error. Googling and finding out that this is actually a bug in the package itself.

6. Finding a workaround = on Google.

7. Trying to remain calm.

8. And so on..

Now that is why I hate IT and the way Microsoft uses the world for debugging purposes. GO GOOGLE !

The other week I built mySQL from source on an Amazon EC2 VM. Took a couple of minutes

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The other week I built mySQL from source on an Amazon EC2 VM. Took a couple of minutes

Should I hold him down whilst you kick him again, Nick?
      The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

mySQL ? I've heard that this buggy , feature-less , miserable sql-wannabe is indeed capable of pushing you off the edge.

Comment

According to Amazon's signup page , Windows Server is not available in the UK ? I am not sure if they mean Windows server location , or Windows server as a service.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
            According to Amazon's signup page , Windows Server is not available in the UK ? I am not sure if they mean Windows server location , or Windows server as a service.
            That refers to the datacenter locations - they only do Windows hosting in the US datacenters at the moment.

I use Linux for my EC2 servers, although I still use the US locations - saves me one cent per hour

Comment

mySQL ? I've heard that this buggy , feature-less , miserable sql-wannabe is indeed capable of pushing you off the edge.
              Your description would have been reasonably accurate three or four years ago, but not any more

Comment

That refers to the datacenter locations - they only do Windows hosting in the US datacenters at the moment.

I use Linux for my EC2 servers, although I still use the US locations - saves me one cent per hour
                Is it about 61 GBP per month for standard VM ?

I am about to sign up with the guys below for about 25 GBP / Mo for a Windows VM.

I havent talked to them yet but performance , scalability etc , might be an issue with these smaller providers. I am gonna stick with them but stay on-stand by and prepare to switch over to Amazon if necessary.

These guys

Comment

That was my last task before being benched. Installed SQL 2005 on WIN2003 and WIN2008 servers running under ESX3i. First attempt went a bit funny but second went fine although I hit some smll problems due to also running DB2 and Oracle on the same servers. Took about 30 minutes to install and get up and running with applications talking to it. Just installed it this evening on a T60p running WIN2008 and no problems. Must be just me...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Is it about 61 GBP per month for standard VM ?

I am about to sign up with the guys below for about 25 GBP / Mo for a Windows VM.

I havent talked to them yet but performance , scalability etc , might be an issue with these smaller providers. I am gonna stick with them but stay on-stand by and prepare to switch over to Amazon if necessary.

These guys
                    My November bill was about £58 quid for one machine instance running for the whole month, a couple of gig of data stored on S3, a gig or so of data in and out of EC2, a fixed IP address, and a fifty gig block storage device (aka drive).

Currency rate fluctuations apply when converting from USD to GBP - I think my bill has gone up about ten quid over the last few months

Of course one of the major advantages of EC2 is being able to scale both up and down on demand - if you get Slashdotted, for example, you'll have about 20,000 visitors in the first hour, gradually tailing off with a total of around 120,000 visitors over the first twenty-four hours - at least, that was what we saw when I Slashdotted a friend's site the other year

An application doing a fair bit of work per request, as opposed to a static HTML page, would have trouble coping on just one server under that kind of load, but on EC2 you could just spin up a few more instances and load-balance across them, spinning them down as traffic tailed off - thus you only pay for what you need, even if you happen to need a hundred servers for just one hour.

Comment

Working...
                    X