• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And the panel says..........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the panel says..........

The last 4 months my SIPP money has gone into a (mainly) Corporate Bond fund currently yielding about 12%. Last month I was sorely tempted to buy into the Blackrock Gold and General fund that invests in Gold mining shares. But I didn't, I went wit the corporate bond fund again. Sadly, it seems I've missed out on a ~20% price bounce the last month, does the panel think that the bounce in Gold shares has run far enough for now, or is it still early days and well worth piling into this next month?

2 scenarios I have in mind-

a) Inflation to come, Gold price soars.
    b) Depression arrives, Gold price soars.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    The last 4 months my SIPP money has gone into a (mainly) Corporate Bond fund currently yielding about 12%. Last month I was sorely tempted to buy into the Blackrock Gold and General fund that invests in Gold mining shares. But I didn't, I went wit the corporate bond fund again. Sadly, it seems I've missed out on a ~20% price bounce the last month, does the panel think that the bounce in Gold shares has run far enough for now, or is it still early days and well worth piling into this next month?

2 scenarios I have in mind-

a) Inflation to come, Gold price soars.
    b) Depression arrives, Gold price soars.
    I'd advise caution, Some commentators are expecting a drop in demand for gold as recesionary pressures bite. I saw a report (I think from Credit Suisse) expecting the price to drop to $700-$750.

And with the pound be worth less than a pebble, and the UK being heavily reliant on imports, I personally think inflation is more of a risk in the medium term than deflation.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

...apologies, it was UBS not Credit Suisse. At least I got the country right

This may be of interest http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...09-at-ubs.aspx
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        ...apologies, it was UBS not Credit Suisse. At least I got the country right

This may be of interest http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...09-at-ubs.aspx
        Hmmm, thanks. That's an interesting read. I once saw this as a description for Gold as a store of value- "In Roman times, 1 ounce of Gold bought a good suit (toga etc... I guess). Today, an ounce of Gold buys.......... a good suit." Food for thought.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Here's a contrarian viewpoint.....

http://www.kitco.com/ind/AuthenticMoney/dec292008.html

Comment

Working...
          X