• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reflective vs Non-Reflective TFT Monitors.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflective vs Non-Reflective TFT Monitors.

You know those new shiny-reflective TFT monitors that you reflect like a mirror ? I Hate them. I wonder if anyone has anything good to say about them at all. I am after a new TFT monitor and I am definetely getting non-reflective one.

The most important and only factor for me is "eye-friendliness" , that is , the level of strain the TFT puts on you eyes. I never had the newer-reflective ones , but they seem like if there is any light source behind you , you wouldnt see anything on the screen , making you stare more and your eyes tire sooner.

Hence I think reflective monitors are for movie and comuter game heads , but a no-no for the IT professional that values their eyes more than their monitor.

The most important thing to remember with any monitor is to take a rest every 20 minutes, get up and walk around. Have a coffee, take a pee...

Eye strain (and resultant headaches) is usually caused by the muscles that control your lens staring at the same focal length for extended periods. Imagine holding your arm out for 2 hours and feeling the burn from that.

The reflective ones do present problems with reflective glare, however, correct positioning/lighting should cure this.
    'elf and safety guru

Comment

I just bought a Benq (non reflective) TFT, its a 16:9 1920x1080 which means I can get 3x office apps across the screen if I squeeze them slightly.

I'm sure I'll get used to it but it seems a bit weird having all that horizontal space to play with compared to my old 1280x1024.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        I'm sure I'll get used to it but it seems a bit weird having all that horizontal space to play with compared to my old 1280x1024.
        Surely everybody has 2x 1280x1024?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Surely everybody has 2x 1280x1024?
          I have at work but I'm not such a geek that I would want that at home.

I went down this route as it's a standard 1080P HD resolution and it has an HDMI socket should I want to use with a console or bluray player with no borders.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            I just bought a Benq (non reflective) TFT, its a 16:9 1920x1080 which means I can get 3x office apps across the screen if I squeeze them slightly.

Sounds the same as mine, a Benq G2400.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
              Sounds the same as mine, a Benq G2400.
              No, it’s an E2200HD 22" just on the market, there is an E2200HDA but this doesn't have HDMI or even DVI which is pretty pointless for something that's marketed as 'Full HD'. They do a 24" version too but it has the same resolution.

Comment

Working...
              X