• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

15% VAT RATE banners in stores - what a joke.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15% VAT RATE banners in stores - what a joke.

I went out shopping today and was fairly dismayed to see many shops with huge banners "VAT CUT" as if it was some reason to party and go mad like it was duty free or something.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

They have to do something to try to get people to spend instead of paying off the mortgage.

Comment

The sheeple are too thick to work out what the difference really is. Hell, even some on here and on the news had trouble calculating the savings accurately.

For the dumb bastards, all you need to know is that it's not worth worrying about unless you're looking for a new car or some other 'big ticket' item.

Even then you should be able to negotiate a bigger discount than you'll be getting from the reduction in VAT, so still no reason to rush out and buy something you don't desperately need.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        I've worked my f**king nuts off only to discover it was all an illusion. I've had enough.

Reminds me of the only worthwhile dialog in Con Air, that I watched the other night. Some psycho mass murderer who keeps being called insane asks if it's as insane as working all your life to be cast out on your ear for next to nothing.

Something suprisingly deep for such an otherwise instantly forgettable movie, and even more relevant today when pensions are turning into black holes.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Maybe people will think it's 15% off VAT?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Maybe people will think it's 15% off VAT?
            But it was only 14.3% off VAT.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Reminds me of the only worthwhile dialog in Con Air, that I watched the other night. Some psycho mass murderer who keeps being called insane asks if it's as insane as working all your life to be cast out on your ear for next to nothing.

Something suprisingly deep for such an otherwise instantly forgettable movie, and even more relevant today when pensions are turning into black holes.

Steve Buscemi!

I actually love that film, some great lines it for a typical hollywood action film!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Steve Buscemi!

I actually love that film, some great lines it for a typical hollywood action film!
                on a side note I watched Die Hard 4 for my sins on Sky again - that movie is just crazy - like how they put bombs in PCs which then are activated by viruses, and how someone can take over the entire US grid and not be tracked inside of USA?!...even though they are communicating via satellites...I was half expecting Osama Bin Laden to be the baddy!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Steve Buscemi!

Define irony: bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                    Define irony: bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.
                    That (Conair) was one good movie - very underated.

Comment

Working...
                    X