• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Norton 360 - Alternative Products

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norton 360 - Alternative Products

Since installing Norton 360 on my home pc and laptop web performance on each has drastically reduced. Has anyone else noticed this and what are the recommended alternative products ?

Try free AVG - http://free.avg.com/ - it's fairly lightweight and free, that's anti-virus and Kerio firewall pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Since installing Norton 360 on my home pc and laptop web performance on each has drastically reduced. Has anyone else noticed this and what are the recommended alternative products ?
      Kaspersky. Can't recommend it highly enough. But there again, what do you want / need from an AV product? How much are you willing to spend?
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Used to use AVG but started to notice it slow things up after version 8 update. Have switched to Avast and so far very impressed.

Comment

AVG 7.5 was better - some junk they added can be switched off in 8.0, but overall they went Norton bloatware route

Comment

Isn't system slowdown with AV always down to software running in memory to check every .EXE for virus activity and every action you perform? The advice always used to be to turn off that functionality and run regular scans if you want to fix performance.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

how do you disable this with N360 ?

Comment

I installed Norton Internet Security 2008 and my laptops performance just nose dived!

I now use ESET NOD32 AV and it is fantastic. Its extremely fast!!

Comment

I don't notice much impact with AVG in normal use, however my PC now takes ages to startup after logging in, has to be told twice to shutdown, and I've seen a couple of application installs really crawl with AVG running.

It was only after having my ebay account hacked a couple of months ago that I got some anti-virus for my PC. I've always been of the opinion that they impact performance so much they cause more problems than they solve, and viruses are very rare if you're sensible.

And I doubt the ebay hack was anything to do with anything on my PC (probably down to me using the same username and password on other sites).
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

AVG is shyte! Use it at your peril. Dont take my word, see comparison here
                    http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivi...a/freeav_2.htm

With a score of just 30 (!) out of a possible 125, do you really want to trust your pc with that piece of shyte?

You've really got to question the knowledge of people who recommend and use AVG!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X