• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for work, wife up the duff; should I tell agents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for work, wife up the duff; should I tell agents?

G'Day,

Curious to hear others' opinions re: how honest to be up front with agents and potential employers.

In brief, I'm a UK contractor, finished last contract in November and started (mid-December) to look for work again. My wife's also pregnant with our 1st and due (touch wood) early March.

When speaking to agents, I *haven't* mentioned the fact that I'll probably want a week off at the time; I've also had 2 interviews and not mentioned the fact either.

My question is would any of you out there mention this fact during an interview with a client or a chat with an agent? I know a pregnant partner should not influence a job application, but in practise, I firmly believe it would be an "un-said" influence. In both my interviews so far, I was asked about time off in the next X months due to tight timescales, and both times I've just waffled about "a few days off in March, but that's about it." Am I being deceptive knowing that it might be more than a few days, and I couldn't give exact dates yet? Would complete disclosure be better? Would the answer change if I'm applying for permanent jobs?

Just curious as to others' opinions.

Cheers

in better times, maybe. But in the current climate, i would stick to your few days off in march line and let them kick up a fuss nearer the time. For the sake of a week, they wont bother terminating and going through the hassle of a re-hire. All mentioning it can do will increase your chances of being on the bench through april.

They might not be chuffed, but they will soon forget. Especially if you kick the arse out of the gig in the first few weeks and get yourself a solid rep on site.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I have always been up front when it comes to letting the client know that my wife is due to give birth. I don't normally bother telling the agents unless they specifically ask, but always mention it in the interview.

I normally tell them that I will need time off for the birth, and I would like a week off after the birth, but if it causes major problems the week off after the birth can be delayed or ignored.

With my second my wife gave birth in the early hours of Friday morning and I was back in work on the Monday. Current gig they delayed my start date for two weeks until my wife had given birth which was nice because I had some time off before, and a week off after.

Generally speaking if you have the skills they want and you are up front about it you will have no problems. If you are female it will of course be a different kettle of fish because you will need to take more time off and most women don't want to go back to work just after they have given birth due to the physical, and emotional stress of giving birth and having a new baby to look after that is 100% dependant on them, and of course because they don't want to leave their new child with any old tom dick or harry to look after him/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
        in better times, maybe. But in the current climate, i would stick to your few days off in march line and let them kick up a fuss nearer the time. For the sake of a week, they wont bother terminating and going through the hassle of a re-hire. All mentioning it can do will increase your chances of being on the bench through april.

They might not be chuffed, but they will soon forget. Especially if you kick the arse out of the gig in the first few weeks and get yourself a solid rep on site.
        WHS

Comment

Originally posted by djw View Post
          G'Day,

Just curious as to others' opinions.

Cheers
          Hmmmm. I'll remind HR to ask that question to our next candidates - Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
            Hmmmm. I'll remind HR to ask that question to our next candidates - Thanks for the info
            "Are you planning on having kids?" is an excellent way to get yourself sued - even in the current climate.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              "Are you planning on having kids?" is an excellent way to get yourself sued - even in the current climate.
              As contractors aren't we above that kind of PC sh1t?

...Or PC daffodils. Or Lillies!

Comment

Say nothing until asked if any holidays coming up. then be honest. most gigs expect you to take holiday at some point.

Comment

Never apologise, never explain. What's this got to do with the client. Never say anything that could put you out of favour.

Say nowt, get gig, and take a week off as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Say nothing until asked if any holidays coming up. then be honest. most gigs expect you to take holiday at some point.
                    When going for a new gig I'm always asked about holidays and tend to reply in the negative as I don't get paid for them. If I want time off I just take it (with a weeks notice or so, never had any problems.) This last gig I was called into the managers office and asked when I would be going on holiday, this was after 18 months in. Upon replying that I wasn't planning any he got very concerned and suggested I should otherwise I'll burn out. Nice concern from the client although not concerned enough to bench us all at Christmas time.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X