• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Once Booming Dubai Goes Bust

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once Booming Dubai Goes Bust

Over the years, booming oil prices helped turn Dubai into a land of opportunity and playground for the ultra rich.

But that was then and this is now. And as CBS News correspondent Sheila MacVicar reports, even Dubai is feeling the pinch of the worldwide economic crisis.

The gulf city state's property prices went up as fast and as high as the towering buildings. But reality has suddenly intruded.

One investor said it was as if someone had thrown a switch, as the global credit crunch slammed a city that was, in effect, the world's biggest construction site

It took just 20 years for Dubai to go from a desert outpost with a handful of office towers to a world metropolis, where one fifth of the world's cranes operate, and property became a very hot commodity, with some people playing real estate the way others play poker.

"People were buying and flipping properties on a launch basis," says Manesh Khadri of Century 21 Real Estate. "You launch a property and you flip it within the same day."

Before an apartment was even built you could away with tens, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Developers promised: Pay $140,000 for an unbuilt apartment, and within six months, reap a $46,000 profit. So as fast as the city expanded, investors snapped up the real estate, taking on big debt.

American Internet entrepreneur Mahmood Panjwani understands the risk of building a business

But, "I really did not know what risk was until I came here," Panjwani says. "I mean Dubai is like Silicon Valley on steroids from a risk perspective."

Buying real estate with little money down and lots of debt is risky indeed. Panjwani saw trouble coming and got his cash out of the market.

"There's a lot of fear," he said. "How low can it go down? How long will it stay down?"

Left: The Burj Dubai tower rises in Sheik Zayed highway in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, in this September, 2007 file photo. The world's tallest building is still under construction, but prices there tumbled 50 percent as Dubai's once booming economy and real estate market have gone bust.

Take the world's tallest building, the Burj Dubai, which remains under construction. In the last month prices there dropped at least 50 percent.

House prices on the man-made Palm - the iconic frond-shaped island colony - down 40 percent.

A seven bedroom villa? $10 million last year, under $6 million now.

Banks aren't lending. Projects are shelved. And the normally secretive government has had to acknowledge it has one of the highest levels of per-capita debt in the world -- and not enough oil to pay for it.

"The worst is still yet to come in the sense of people losing properties" Khadri says. "That will happen."

Of course, Dubai will come back eventually, many say, perhaps without the speculators and the insane price increases. So while the fizz might be gone, they insist, the water still sparkles.

Source:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4696300.shtml

My only comment to this article is:

Dubai has very little oil : its prosperity built mostly on trade. I think they will do well medium term as a country : but individual property buyers will be creamed. Too many flats there : I believe 50% of buyers are British.

Comment

... and aircon must cost a fortune

Comment

What's the point of going there? I mean you can't even go for a pump on the beach.

Comment

Put Up Or Shut Up Atw

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Dubai has very little oil : its prosperity built mostly on trade. I think they will do well medium term as a country : but individual property buyers will be creamed. Too many flats there : I believe 50% of buyers are British.
            I went a couple of years ago, for a holiday.

There was a real wild-west / gold-rush atmosphere.

In the hotel lobbies there would be countless business meetings being conducted, mostly westerners but also a few locals. You could feel it in the air - the westerners did not know what they were doing, but they believed that if they got it right that they could make their fortune.

It seems to me that they are doing the right thing with their finance servicing business - taking their time. Everything else goes up in one hell of a hurry there, but financial services need trust and confidence which you will not get overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              I went a couple of years ago, for a holiday.

There was a real wild-west / gold-rush atmosphere.

In the hotel lobbies there would be countless business meetings being conducted, mostly westerners but also a few locals. You could feel it in the air - the westerners did not know what they were doing, but they believed that if they got it right that they could make their fortune.

It seems to me that they are doing the right thing with their finance servicing business - taking their time. Everything else goes up in one hell of a hurry there, but financial services need trust and confidence which you will not get overnight.
              I was there in May 2006 : my gf was bought up there (but attended boarding school in England : her father was an airport fireman). Almost nothing was left from her childhood - the local houses get knocked down after 20 years as so badly constructed!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I was there in May 2006 : my gf was bought up there (but attended boarding school in England : her father was an airport fireman). Almost nothing was left from her childhood - the local houses get knocked down after 20 years as so badly constructed!
                I was there in 1999 - I really enjoyed it but then, I adore the sunshine and would lie on the beach all day if I could

My brother is working there at the moment and he loves it as does his g/f. My cousin is there with his family too.

We are going to visit them in March, I hope. Right when the Dubai Rugby 7's is on!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I’m surprised your brother and cousin enjoy it so much. I've been there on several occasions for business and thought there are allot of other places in the world I would rather spend my time.

There is nothing really to do, except maybe go from hotel to hotel, resort to resort to eat, drink and sit by the pool, all well and good if you like that but all somewhat boring in my books. The beaches are sub par from a global perspective, too hot in the summer, traffic gridlock, high prices, and seeing the slave labour is somewhat disconcerting. Moreover you are in the smack in the middle of the Middle East, you can’t really go anywhere with the exception of other UAE Emirates, unless you want to fly for a few hours that is.

I personally just can’t see the attraction… Even if you do earn a living tax free, but then money is not everything..

Comment

I think many go there for the prostitution

Comment

Working...
                    X