• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who has been ill/sick over Xmas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who has been ill/sick over Xmas?

Well I thought I had managed to escape it, over Xmas I'd heard so many stories from friends/relatives of them all being sick with either flu, or with stomach pains/being sick.

Friday night saw my other half suffering the latter, both the kids with a cold/flu, and now I've found myself up all night so far feeling/being sick with signs of chest/flu issues as well... earlier today felt like someone was putting a knife through my stomach.

I don't know why I'm on here at 2.35am in the morning, can't sleep and I guess with nobody else to really talk to right now it feels good just to type it all out and post it on here.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I seem to have something... dyspepsia, plus I'm getting quite incredible gunk out of my sinuses...

Happily enough, I'm back in work tomorrow, so I can spread it around to however many students manage to get themselves out of bed in the morning...

Sounds like they are all safe to me.......

Comment

Is it me or did we just used to get the odd cold in winter and be fine in a few days?

Nowadays we seem to have almost pandemics with really nasty strains of the cold viruses wiping out lots of people for a long time.

So is this due to NL / house prices etc.?

Comment

I read a few years ago that during this time of the year, people are prone to anxiety, insomnia, the shorter days / daylight hours coupled with the cold and the prospect of starting a new year and all the uncertainties that come with that creates a feeling of tension and unrest.

To be honest I wake up and sometimes think to myself ..." how in tulips name has Britain reached this point, when will it get better so that I can finally escape from this prison sentence on this island ".

Comment

Nope. Never get a cold beyond the slightest sniffle that is gone in a few hours, don't think I've ever had flue except maybe once 25 years ago after spending hours on an Aeroflot from Moscow. Seem to be virtually immune to viruses. Healthy body, pity about the mind.

PS Agree with Shimano. It is all Brownstuff's fault.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
            Is it me or did we just used to get the odd cold in winter and be fine in a few days?

Nowadays we seem to have almost pandemics with really nasty strains of the cold viruses wiping out lots of people for a long time.

So is this due to NL / house prices etc.?
            It's due to people being narcissistic hypochondriacs.

I remember some years ago reading a study concerning the reported incidence of minor ailments in different countries in Europe - as in, what patients reported themselves as having.

The UK appeared to have some ridiculously high incidence of flu: something like twenty times more than any other country. Of course, this is simply because many people in the UK get a minor sniffle and blow it out of all proportion, insisting that it's a really bad case of flu when it's just the common cold.

The French on the other hand, whilst not being such pansies over a blocked nose, report an unfeasibly high incidence of haemorrhoids

Comment

Yeah, I've had 'real' flu once.. about 6-7yrs ago and it literally knocked me out solid for a week in bed.

I know the difference between flu and $other... lol.. what I've got now isn't 'flu', it still sucks though.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I've got a bad chesty cold. It's lasted over a week. I thought I was getting over it on new year's day so I went out training in the freezing cold. It made it worse.

I'm going back to work tomorrow to share it. One of those barstards gave it to me, probably all the kissing on Christmas Eve.

Comment

I'm usually more in the "have a runny nose have I got a cold camp". I’m not sure whether I've ever had the flu proper, but every few years a cold does get on to my chest, and I feel do that. I don't seem to suffer many of the common ailments such as headaches/ diarrhoea/indigestion and symptoms of things such as constipation remain a bit of a (thankful) mystery to me.

Comment

I am in week 5 of man flu. Was off sick for the first week, then went in for a week drugged up, then 2 weeks off for Christmas, and now back and still got it. I went to bed last night at 6pm and was awakened by the alarm at 7am this morning wondering if I really had to get up.

Comment

Working...
                    X