• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Connecting Windows Laptop (Compaq) to iMAC Screen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting Windows Laptop (Compaq) to iMAC Screen?

Morning,

Not a Techie wizard so hoping somebody here can help me.

I have recently 'upgraded' from an ageing Dell PC to an iMAC but still use a Windows laptop (Company Laptop). When i was still using the Dell Desktop, i would connect the Laptop up the screen to make use of the better resolution / size, now i have the iMac i dont have room for both monitors so i was wondering if it is possible to connect up a Windows Laptop to the iMac screen?

If it is, could anybody recommend a solution / piece of hardware please

Laptop is fairly modern ~ 14 months old.

Many thanks

Regards

Alan

Not possible without buying a new piece of kit to create a "Video in" on the iMac.

I think elgato might do such a thing but I can't remember.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

MoscowMule,

Many thanks for the reply.

Ok, what about replacing my iMac screen with my VGA monitor? Is it possible to connect an iMac to a VGA Monitor?

Regards

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by AlanR View Post
        MoscowMule,

Many thanks for the reply.

Ok, what about replacing my iMac screen with my VGA monitor? Is it possible to connect an iMac to a VGA Monitor?

Regards

Alan
        Yes, but you need a widget from apple to connect to their proprietary mini-dvi port on the back.

http://store.apple.com/uk/search?find=mini+dvi

You can then either dual-screen or mirror.

If it were me, I'd try to fit two screens on my desk though - it really is the way forward...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          If it were me, I'd try to fit two screens on my desk though - it really is the way forward...
          Thnaks, i agree. it looks like it will be more beneficial (not to mention easier) to buy a bigger desk to allow 2 screens to be available.

Thanks for the help / advice.

Regards

Alan

Comment

You could do what I do, and use Microsoft's Remote Desktop for Mac to connect to the laptop - yet another way to have Windows in a window

(Although it does allow you to go full-screen as well.)

Comment

NickFitz,

Will give it a go, many thanks.

Alan

Comment

Try Synergy from Sourceforge... acts sort of like a KVM switch. Allows you to use one keyboard and mouse (either the iMac or the laptop) as a master and both screens are 'connected' the mouse pointer just goes across from screen to screen like magic. Cross platform - needs a network!

Comment

Working...
                X