• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waterford Wedgwood in administration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterford Wedgwood in administration

Now the chine will come from China.

Weren't they producing in China already?

Comment

Lots of pottery once produced in the UK is now made in China & the far east, Royal Doulton being the biggest ( I think).

I grew up in Stoke where most of it was produced, my Grandmother used to work on the production line putting handles onto mugs and cups. The pottery industry in this country is now dead and I personally believe that the quality had suffered. I can spot the difference between Royal Doulton made in Thailand and Royal Doulton made in the UK. But then i grew up surrounded by the stuff!

I personally find it very sad.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

They still make nice cakes in Stoke. I particularly like the ice buns pipped with confectioners custard
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Oatcakes are by far the best thing to eat in Stoke.
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I thought we'd have two bank runs and then the last of the manufacturers to fail.

Possibly we'll get the manufacturers popping off during the second bank run.

Interesting indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              Lots of pottery once produced in the UK is now made in China & the far east, Royal Doulton being the biggest ( I think).

I grew up in Stoke where most of it was produced, my Grandmother used to work on the production line putting handles onto mugs and cups. The pottery industry in this country is now dead and I personally believe that the quality had suffered. I can spot the difference between Royal Doulton made in Thailand and Royal Doulton made in the UK. But then i grew up surrounded by the stuff!

I personally find it very sad.
              On a business trip to Limoges once, I found that the town was not much into pottery any more, but rather manufactured plastics. They had first reacted to the declining market for luxury ceramics by diversifying into electrical insulators, big ones (strange to think of a pylon's insulators as being Limoges). Then they went into making the same insulators from plastics, then into other things from the same plastics. So the French pottery town changed its manufacturing over the years, to stay in business.

Better, some would say, than making very good pottery or nothing, if it comes down to the second of those.

Comment

To be fair, Wedgewood/Doulton had been badly run for years. Its not really a surprise.

Churchill and Steelite still seem to do ok, so there is business there to be won for well run companies. Maybe the wedgewood brands will be picked up cheaply by one of these, I hope so. But I cant see many of the 1100 jobs surviving whatever.

Stoke is a funny old place, but oatcakes, wright's pies, titanic beer and the vale drag me back from that there london every now and then.
                The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I don’t understand why two premium brands outsourced production; producing in Britain and Ireland would be a strong advertisement for their goods as genuine, quality articles made by craftspeople, which is surely what people are looking for when they buy expensive glass and porcelain. As soon as they outsourced to low wage countries, their product had little to distinguish it from the cheaper offerings at run of the mill shops.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This also affects the largest German porcelain manufacturer, Rosenthal, who are owned by them with up to 1600 jobs in danger.

http://de.reuters.com/article/deEuro...14242320090105
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X