• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is how I run my house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is how I run my house

This is how I run the finances in my house.

I work hard and get my pay.
    I pay my taxes.
    I take whats left and divide it into three
    One third goes on neccesities
    One third gets saved
    One third is for wasting (holidays, new car etc)

If I want something I can not afford, I save for it or do without.
    Therefore, I am always in the black.
    If I dont work, I can ratchett my neccesities right back to meagre sum, and live off my reserve, then my savings.
    I am still always in the black.

Now, for the sake of argument, lets imagine that last year I didnt do this, and I borrowed 100k from the bank to buy something, a gold mine in Australia or something.

The bank now tells me they want the money back right now.

I would stop saving, stop borrowing, stop the luxuries and pay it back as much as possible every week.

Can the economists in the congregation tell me why the country is run any differently ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

YOU are the owner, billpayer and patriarch of your household. You don’t need to get re-elected every 5 years by promising everyone freebies, lending money to other household residents or mounting military invasion campaigns against householders in the Persian desert.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      This is how I run the finances in my house.

I pay my taxes.
      I take whats left and divide it into three
      One third goes on neccesities
      One third gets saved
      One third is for wasting (holidays, new car etc)

If I want something I can not afford, I save for it or do without.
      Therefore, I am always in the black.
      If I dont work, I can ratchett my neccesities right back to meagre sum, and live off my reserve, then my savings.
      I am still always in the black.

Now, for the sake of argument, lets imagine that last year I didnt do this, and I borrowed 100k from the bank to buy something, a gold mine in Australia or something.

The bank now tells me they want the money back right now.

I would stop saving, stop borrowing, stop the luxuries and pay it back as much as possible every week.

Can the economists in the congregation tell me why the country is run any differently ?

It was run fine by Maggie. Its just that those following her were/are numpties.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        You don’t need to get re-elected every 5 years by promising everyone freebies, lending money to other household residents or mounting military invasion campaigns against householders in the neighbours garden.
        You really must meet the wife and kids
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It was run fine by Maggie. Its just that those following her were/are numpties.
          Monetarism, that proved to work well didn't it?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Is that what its called ?

seems like common sense to me

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              For the last few years M4 has been increasing rapidly. If it had been targeted a few years earlier then the debt bubble would not have ballooned as much.

Though I do accept that any inflation measure targeted starts to misbehave. A bit like quantum mechanics really.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                For the last few years M4 has been increasing rapidly. I
                Yeah, that's one of the reasons I stopped working in Slough - the commute seemed to be taking much much longer.....

IGMC
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

post on CUK

I pay my taxes.
                  Are you sure you're getting good tax advice?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

...Can the economists in the congregation tell me why the country is run any differently ?
                    Because we have a government in power which doesn't understand economics (Gordon Brown's degree is in history, his doctorate is in "the labour party and politics in Scotland". His economic and financial qualifications are...um....)

Labour governments seek to destroy wealth to benefit those who haven't got it, Tory governments seek to protect those who have wealth to the detriment of those who don't. As a result, Labour governments always run out of money, Tory governments always run out of support.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X