• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trainspotters being stopped under anti-terror powers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trainspotters being stopped under anti-terror powers

The Prevention of Terrorism Act 2000 has been used to stop 62,584 people at railway stations and another 87,000 were questioned under "stop and search" and "stop and account" legislation.
    You really couldn't make this stuff up. I know it isn't a good idea to photograph stations, post offices etc. in third world countries where they fear a coup, but the UK for Heaven's Sake?

Telegraph article

Don't miss the comments there
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Trainspotters are wierd so this is entirely justified imho...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      Trainspotters are wierd so this is entirely justified imho...
      First they took the Trainspotters, and I said nothing because I wasn't a Trainspotter

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        First they took the Trainspotters, and I said nothing because I wasn't a Trainspotter
        Next stop geeks? Methinks we've had a thread about that already today - here

Comment

OK today its train spotters but tomorrow it could be stamp collectors. Where will it all end?

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
            OK today its train spotters but tomorrow it could be stamp collectors. Where will it all end?
            Philately will get you nowhere.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

LOL!

Comment

Comment

The fact that the searches were carried out in railway stations doesn't mean they were all trainspotters. Have a look at this video a commuter recorded of being randomly chosen for a stop-search under anti-terrorism laws at Waterloo one evening

Comment

I worked at a Philatelic auctioneers once, they moved into famous signatures and got sued for selling a bogus Lord Nelson signature. It made the national press, disgusted of tunbridge wells disgracing our great hero stylee including interviews from various Lord Nelson pub landlords.
                    All that from a genuine mistake. It was Lord Nelson, just the wrong one. They found out when someone spotted the lean was in the wrong direction i.e. of the arm he had lost!

I doubt it would make the papers these days
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X