• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car

Need a new (bigger) car. Figured now might be a good time to buy. Sad, I know, but am thinking estate Surely better than MPV?

I don't know all the models, but thought I'd stick up a poll to get the panel's opinions. Assume I mean the estate version of the make...feel free to advise on what it is where appropriate. Please expand on your choices where possible and do suggest others! Thanks.

Personally I'm inclined towards the A6 as I already have an audi and the reliability is great, but happy to hear suggestions.

Also, don't bother suggesting 4x4s as the missus will have none of it.

No Andyw option. They're not funny anyway
    Vauxhall Vectra
    3.13%
    Audi A6
    43.75%
    Renault Laguna
    12.50%
    Merc (C or E class)
    21.88%
    Volvo
    3.13%
    VW Passat (for Milan)
    6.25%
    Saab
    9.38%

The poll is expired.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

p.s. poll is public
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

p.p.s forgot BMW. dammit. however was put off by the problems my workmates are having with theirs

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        p.p.s forgot BMW.
        Andyw

Comment

Timely reminder. My BMW has been downright dangerous today in the snow and ice.

Don't discount a 4x4. Someone drove into my wife's a few months ago and totally trashed their car. Her 4x4 just needed a new bumper which she'd scratched to bits anyway dragging shopping bags out the boot.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

The A4 is more Passat size if comparing like with like. The Audis also have AWD throught the range.

Again would recommend looking at a soft roader too, even to discount them. Consider the Tiguan, Q5 (if you want to splash out), CRV, Forester etc

Comment

Consider the depreciation. The Vauxhall will haemorrhage money when you drive it off the forecourt, whereas the Saab (Vauxhall in a posh frock) will hold its value like a northern new build buy-to-let.

What about a Ford Mondeo? Or even big Citroen? (though that will lose more than the Saab)
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Vote Vectra!

But only because you didn't list anything Japanese. I think I'd go for a Honda Accord. There's also the Suburu Legacy that Top Gear raved about, and if you're looking for older, the pre 2002 Primeras are great.

Audi won't be reliable as the Japanese, and will cost you three times as much for each service.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'd vote for andyw and failing that I would go for a Toyota if reliability, space and price are your main concerns.

p.s. you should give more elements for a correct evaluation since your only parameters seem to be space, reliability and not 4x4. I'd go for Toyota Avensis, not the most beautiful of the choices but less dull than pazzat...
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

No Andyw option. They're not funny anyway
                    Agreed 100%.

Top man !

I hold AndyW voters somewhere down there along with estate agents and pimps. It's their "doh...must vote AndyW coz it is kewl" mentality that makes me pity them the most.

As for car, Ford Focus Estate, although as it's not a vote option, I cannot vote for it, so please discount it as it's not a valid choice in this poll.
                    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 5 January 2009, 23:08.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X