• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Complaint against Car Insurance broker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complaint against Car Insurance broker

Hi folks,
    I am wondering if there is anyway for us to make a complaint against a car insurance broker, and actually also whether we have a right to complain given the following situation:

My better half has had her own car insurance for 5 years.

2 years in UK, 2 years in Dublin, 1 year back here.

for the last year (our first back from Dublin) we used a broker as most UK insurers would not recognise the 2 years in Dublin for no claims discount purposes.

Now, she wants to leave the broker and wants a statement of NCD. Broker says he will only send her a statement saying she has 1 years no claim (the year back in the UK through them), even though on her renewal letter it said they were obtaining quotes using 9 years NCD (this is incorrect should be just 5 years)

so....i think the broker is holding her to ransom if you will so she will stay with them.

the reason i think this is because I was in the exact same situation just a couple of months ago with the same broker (I sorted out my insurance here faster as i came home a month or so early) and i got my full NCD including the year in Dublin, and the years before (full 9 years for me)

When I got my new insurance for this year, I explained all this to the new insurer saying my 5 years spanned 2 in Dublin, and the new insurers said that was fine so long as i had my NCD statement stating the correct amount of time.

if you've read this far....thanks!!!

so.....thoughts on if we have right to complain, and if so, who should we speak to?

(I haven't named the broker as it may be against board rules, but will if i am allowed too?)

I don't believe you need a "statement of NCD", just give the new insurer a copy of your old insurance certificate, which should mention the NCD being given.

For example, I was given a 'bonus' year's NCD when I insured my car with the people with the big red telephone. I left a year later when they hiked the price to someone cheaper and I got two years' NCD even though I only had one year proper.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Your renewal quote should be from the insurer not the broker - ring them and ask for a letter confirming the no claims discount.

Then shop around.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

thanks folks

TheFaQQER - exactly what we have done , went direct to the insurance company and with a bit of persuasion, they are sending it out

these types of insurance companies (sounds dodgy i know!) usually only deal directly with the broker so they say (i was with one, better half was with a different one).

But we made a lot of noise about being ****ed about by the broker, not wanting to deal with them again, let me speak to your manager etc and they agreed to do it.

my question is about whether we have a right to complain about the broker trying to hold us to ransom, and who we could complain too. my original post isn't entirely clear, apologies!

Comment

Life's too short move on.

Comment

Working...
          X