• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Climate Change - it's over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate Change - it's over

I long ago discussed presenting a "devastating riposte" to our very own climate change alarmists. Luckily, I put off doing so until someone else did it for me <phew>.
    So here you go AGW fans, put this in your pipe & smoke it:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/01/0...say/#more-4798

"
    By Harold Ambler on The Huffington Post

Posted January 3, 2009 | 11:36 AM (EST

Mr. Gore: Apology Accepted
    You are probably wondering whether President-elect Obama owes the world an apology for his actions regarding global warming. The answer is, not yet. There is one person, however, who does. You have probably guessed his name: Al Gore.

Mr. Gore has stated, regarding climate change, that “the science is in.” Well, he is absolutely right about that, except for one tiny thing. It is the biggest whopper ever sold to the public in the history of humankind.

What is wrong with the statement? A brief list:

"
    Bored.

Shut up! I stand to make money out of global warming when my wind power bonds come to maturity and my shares in a wind generator manufacturer increase in value, so I don't like it when people sow doubt in the minds of other potential investors.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

1. First, the expression "climate change" itself is a redundancy, and contains a lie.
      No, actually, the expression "climate change" does not contain a lie.

As the article continues - "Climate has always changed, and always will."
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        No, actually, the expression "climate change" does not contain a lie.

As the article continues - "Climate has always changed, and always will."
        Indeed, and if there's money to be made from eco-friendly power sources, why don't we just enjoy the next boom? Anyway, it's a good idea to diversify energy sources so that we don't have to depend on the likes of Vlad Putin, the Saudi royal family and that President Chav in Venezuela.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Indeed, and if there's money to be made from eco-friendly power sources, why don't we just enjoy the next boom? Anyway, it's a good idea to diversify energy sources so that we don't have to depend on the likes of Vlad Putin, the Saudi royal family and that President Chav in Venezuela.
          And Arthur Scargill. Don't forget Arthur Scargill.

Comment

Try reading Bill Bryson's a A Short History of Nearly Everything , doesn't mention climate change much, but does make you realise what a fragile and inconsequential existence we lead.

We won't do much harm to earth, we'll just wipe ourselves out, then in a few million years time something else will grow out of the mess..

Anyway what is the point in take a chance, if we have the technology to be more effecient shouldn't we use it?

Green innovations will probably be the driver of the next economic upswing as we equip ourselves with green cars, houses etc etc.

The planet can't support 4 billion oil guzzling humans, it can't make oil that quickly..

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              And Arthur Scargill. Don't forget Arthur Scargill.
              Yep, good one. A quick search of the interweb for honest people in the fossil fuels business isn't very promising.

Comment

Originally posted by LittlestHobbo View Post
                Green innovations will probably be the driver of the next economic upswing as we equip ourselves with green cars, houses etc etc.
                I'm thinking that way too. It's a big opportunity for investors, techies and scientists.

Comment

If Al Gore and the scientific community are wrong, but we follow their advice anyway, then we will be using a more diversified source of fuel, and have less dependence on the Middle East, Russia, Venezuela and potentially the US.

If Al Gore and the scientific community are wrong, and we don't follow their advice, then when the oil runs out, we are all screwed anyway.

If Al Gore and the scientific community are right, but we ignore their advice, then we are screwed.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It is. It's also a good idea that for example, when hurricane damage costs increase even though there's less hurricanes it's not because "climate change made them stronger" but because more people and buildings are located in hurricane areas. Or that the coastal regions are dying due much, much more to pollution than any AGW. Or perhaps that bio-fuels cause starvation. That we are in the middle of a global extinction event not due to a bit of CO2 but because there's too many people.
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X