• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life Expectancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life Expectancy

I was talking to my daughter the other day - actually she's not my daughter, she's my partner's daughter: 18 and beautiful and no actual relation to me at all ..... but I digress ... I looked at her driving licence, and saw that it is valid until 2060. Not a chance that I will see that year. Set me off wondering how long I've got. Not meant to know, I suppose. If I did know, I bet I would change some things, regardless of how long it is! So why not act now as if my time is limited?

Originally posted by expat View Post
    she's my partner's daughter: 18 and beautiful and no actual relation to me at all .....

... So why not act now as if my time is limited?
    Umm, it's probably legal but not really ethical.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You sound like you've spent the festive season reading the Daily Mail mixed with seasonal cheer from the BBC, Expat... Anything the congregation can do to cheer you up?

What sort of things would you change if you knew when your time was?
      Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          No I didn't mean that

I meant, sod the work, let me take to the hills/cycle to work/ see the world/etc before I die. Because I will, sooner than I probably think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
            You sound like you've spent the festive season reading the Daily Mail mixed with seasonal cheer from the BBC, Expat... Anything the congregation can do to cheer you up?

What sort of things would you change if you knew when your time was?
            I suppose it is churlish to say so but post less here should probably be on the list

Comment

Well life expectancy if you reach 40 rises to over 80 for a man. Knock a few years off if you are obese or smoke.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                I meant, sod the work, let me take to the hills/cycle to work/ see the world/etc before I die. Because I will, sooner than I probably think.
                That's the spirit!

I was off work sick for eight weeks last year (while in contract ), which really refocussed by priorities on what I wanted to do at the moment and in the future.

I don't need to work more than 4 months a year to fund my lifestyle, and I don't want anything more than I already have, apart from to be able to fund a bit of the same in retirement (without needing to bump off the family in the right order to maximise my inheritance ). What I want is to spend more time with my family while I can, and watch them grow up. I want to live healthier. I want to grow my own veg.

Simple little things to make me feel better, and get the most pleasure from family life.

I'd recommend reading How to Be Free as a good starter (and I've even found you the cheapest place to buy the paperback online as well!)
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Well life expectancy if you reach 40 rises to over 80 for a man. Knock a few years off if you are obese or smoke.
                  Really? Well, I am obese, that's why I hijacked SA's thread about diet.

I did one of those stupid online calculators recently, and it gave me just another 20 years of life. I reckon I'll have to work the first 10 of those, to retire for the second 10, and I couldn't help thinking that it might be better to just enjoy the first 10 instead.....

Comment

I think most of us that are sensible dream of working only to the point where we can retire comfortable and enjoy life. unfortunately the world can often deal you a sucker punch and a lot of us will end up working up till 60 if not 65.

Still there is hope, I am not yet 30 so pray the next 20 years are fruitful enough to let me retire at 50.

Comment

Working...
                    X