• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backup software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup software

So here's my situation. I have a laptop, plus an external drive that I connect to wirelessly through a networked USB hub.

As the wireless connection isn't the fastest, what I'd like is some backup software that will run in the background while I'm working. I just want to specify the folders whose contents I want backed up, then for it to be quietly backed up without me having to do anything. Any ideas?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    So here's my situation. I have a laptop, plus an external drive that I connect to wirelessly through a networked USB hub.

As the wireless connection isn't the fastest, what I'd like is some backup software that will run in the background while I'm working. I just want to specify the folders whose contents I want backed up, then for it to be quietly backed up without me having to do anything. Any ideas?
    If you are prepared to pay for the software, have a look at Memeo. I bought 2 licenses... one for each computer. Works a dream. Can specify folders, or use the pre-defined template.

Regarding the wireless connection problem.. (I know you haven't asked for advice on this... but hope you don't mind the recommendation), have a look at homeplug. The one I got is the Devolo (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=). It's not cheap, but worth the investment.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Regarding the wireless connection problem.. (I know you haven't asked for advice on this... but hope you don't mind the recommendation), have a look at homeplug. The one I got is the Devolo (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=). It's not cheap, but worth the investment.
      Out of interest, what transfer rates are you getting with those?
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Out of interest, what transfer rates are you getting with those?
        about 130kbs on the ones I referred to on my previous message. I have them plugged into the extension leads. I'm sure I would get faster speeds if they were plugged directly into the power socket...and also if the house wiring wasn't so screwed. Also I have AES encryption enabled, so that may take up some bandwidth.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          about 130kbs on the ones I referred to on my previous message. I have them plugged into the extension leads. I'm sure I would get faster speeds if they were plugged directly into the power socket...and also if the house wiring wasn't so screwed. Also I have AES encryption enabled, so that may take up some bandwidth.
          I did consider them for getting network access in to the loft, but in the end I just went for the less elegant solution of running some CAT6 up the outside of the house Those speeds sound very decent though.

(Sorry to hijack your thread DS - no real suggestions for backup utilities, but I have been using Microsoft SyncToy to backup to a NAS recently - not sure it's what you're after though.)
          Last edited by voodooflux; 7 January 2009, 12:02.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

I use a simple DOS xcopy command to do mine
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I did consider them for getting network access in to the loft, but in the end I just went for the less elegant solution of running some CAT6 up the outside of the house Those speeds sound very decent though.
              I knew someone who did something similar. He wanted to get network connection between his rooms.. he had to drill a couple of holes in the wall to get it to work. Cheap and effective, but not sure how reliable it was.

The Homeplug is quite handy. Saved having to run a network cable all over the house. I've plugged the homeplug into a hub (unforutnately it's only a 10/100mb one. Nobody at the Computer Fair had a 1gb one... didn't want to spend a lot on one) and plugged my network usb hub and my computer into the hub.

Comment

Another vote for Memeo, I got the licence as part of the deal "free" when I bought a Buffalo NAS device. Only snag I have is that it causes XP to partially hand when shutting down, so I have to click "shutdown" twice. Works fine on Vista.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

(Sorry to hijack your thread DS - no real suggestions for backup utilities, but I have been using Microsoft SyncToy to backup to a NAS recently - not sure it's what you're after though.)
                  Got a Netgear HD one. Good enough to play XBOX live.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Memeo looks like exactly what I need, thanks all
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X