• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Financial Freedom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Freedom

Following on from the debt threads I thought I'd start one about financial freedom as my spreadsheets are focused more on financial freedom with oustanding personal debt as a short term obstacle and number 1 priority.

Who here is actively in or looking into getting into a position where you live off funds generated from investments so you don't actually have to get up in the morning and trade time for money?

If so what's your plan and how far along are you?

I find the whole getting out of debt thing a lot easier with a positive focus (financial freedom) as opposed to a negative focus (bad debts).
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Following on from the debt threads I thought I'd start one about financial freedom as my spreadsheets are focused more on financial freedom with oustanding personal debt as a short term obstacle and number 1 priority.

Who here is actively in or looking into getting into a position where you live off funds generated from investments so you don't actually have to get up in the morning and trade time for money?

I find the whole getting out of debt thing a lot easier with a positive focus (financial freedom) as opposed to a negative focus (bad debts).
    Hmmm, 'investments'. Are they those thingummyjigs that depreciate faster than a dented Lada after 3 terms of a labour govenment?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Let the state support you by being an asylum seeker or similar.

Financial freedom and you don't trade time for money.

HTH

Comment

Having dabbled with high yield share portfolios for a while with the vague plan of building an income stream for the future, and watched them fester and rot this year, I am now convinced the only way out is to pay off as much of my mortgage off as fast as possible, and then become an accountant. Or a lumberjack.

Oh, that and lumping the rest of my spare cash into LOIL.L

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          Oh, that and lumping the rest of my spare cash into LOIL.L
          Use LOIL as a short term play only , since it has high contango charges.

Even if the oil prices remain the same in the next 6 months you will find that LOIL will be in loss.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Let the state support you by being an asylum seeker or similar.

Financial freedom and you don't trade time for money.

HTH
            True - you should add to that to avoid any from of Pension Schemes as the state will then have to bail you out - plus you probably will never see any of your pension fund due to mismanagement/ stock market collapse or death before retirement age.
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 7 January 2009, 16:36.

Comment

Apologies for asking such a silly question
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

My wife and I invested £1500 in a management buy out of the biochem company she just left, it just paid us a £420 dividend in the first year!!

Why didn't we pile more in.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  My wife and I invested £1500 in a management buy out of the biochem company she just left, it just paid us a £420 dividend in the first year!!

Why didn't we pile more in.
                  Reminds me of Sept 2001. I was in France: on 12th Sept, shares in Air France were half the price they had been days before. I thought, no way will the French govt let Air France go down the tubes, so I bought a few. Why didn't I buy a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

my spreadie tells me I need £300k in the bank, in order to maintain my current standard of living.

I am over half way there

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X