• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much time do you have?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much time do you have?

He who does not have two thirds of his day to himself is a slave, let him be what he may otherwise: statesman, businessman, official, scholar.
    -- Nietzsche

Even if I average over the week, in order to include the weekends, I don't have two-thirds of my day to myself, unless I count sleep.

Comment

Recalling the philiosphy that I covered at University, I went looking for some Nietzsche quotes to show that he was a nutter whose ideas you shouldn't take a lot of notice of.

Now I dig them out 20 years later, it has become clear to me that the man was a genius.

Here are some examples:

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth"

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how"

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

"In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point. "

"Is life not a thousand times too short for us to bore ourselves?"

"Not necessity, not desire - no, the love of power is the demon of men. Let them have everything - health, food, a place to live, entertainment - they are and remain unhappy and low-spirited: for the demon waits and waits and will be satisfied."

It sounds like he might have worked on one of the projects that I worked on

"There are horrible people who, instead of solving a problem, tangle it up and make it harder to solve for anyone who wants to deal with it. Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Even if I average over the week, in order to include the weekends, I don't have two-thirds of my day to myself, unless I count sleep.
        Thats a pity Expat - why it that - what is stealing your Time ?

All we have is Today - Eric Blair

Comment

I always thought Nietzsche was a bit of a dumbkopf. Kind of sounds good but basically rubbish. I mean try asking a slave if they think that qoute is right - they'd tell you to flip off.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            I always thought Nietzsche was a bit of a dumbkopf. Kind of sounds good but basically rubbish. I mean try asking a slave if they think that qoute is right - they'd tell you to flip off.
            If they had the time!

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              The guy obviously had too much time on his hands Why two-thirds as opposed to 0.6, 0.5 or 0.145373 for example ?

One theory is that his philosophy drove him nuts, but if it was syphilis he might well have philosophised: "what doesn't kill you could turn you into a nut case".

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                Thats a pity Expat - why it that - what is stealing your Time ?

All we have is Today - Eric Blair
                I don't like Nietzsche either, but let us not have argumentum ad hominem, the point is a good one.

Working and commuting is stealing my time.

Every week: 40 hours work plus 12 hours weekly commute plus 2 hours in daily commutes = 54 hours a week; add in a couple of hours extra work, admin, delays, etc, 56 hours, rather conservatively.

Available time = 7 days at 16 hours awake = 112 hours time per week. I'm spending half my waking hours on work, if you include weekends. 56 of 80 hours during the week, so 70% of M-F time on work.

And that's allowing office lunch, cheap restaurant dinner, and evenings in the hotel, as being my time; when in fact it is hard to see them as things I'd really want to do.

Comment

Working...
                X