• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

150 quid difference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

150 quid difference

Just had two calls from agencys about the same role.
    The second agent quoted me a rate £150 a day less than the first.

I was very pleased to tell him, I was already being put forward.
    I just hope its not another one of those 'phantom' jobs
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

According to my son, a phantom job is one that disappears around the S-bend on entry so you never see it. I agree with you, I hope it's not one of them.

Comment

Always a tough one this as agent 2 may be more on the mark rate wise and all agent 1's CVs go straight in the bin when cheaper bodies are on offer. On the other hand agent 2 might be trying to take you to the cleaners !

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

Maybe agent 2 thought he would get a bigger cut?

Comment

Good luck m'dear.

nice beaver by the way

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Good luck m'dear.

nice beaver by the way

I think he's just had it stuffed.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I would have taken the 150 pound less option as clients tend to favour contractors who are less greedy.

Comment

If you told an agent the rate you were put in at, they will use that info to undercut. The agent 2 is already doing so and will now have a very good idea to what agent 1's charge to client will be. Client will normally pick cheapest option.

Keep sending the CV's as you won't be getting this role and in future say nuffin' to no-one who doesn't need to know. Being naive won't get you roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                  If you told an agent the rate you were put in at, they will use that info to undercut. The agent 2 is already doing so and will now have a very good idea to what agent 1's charge to client will be. Client will normally pick cheapest option.

Keep sending the CV's as you won't be getting this role and in future say nuffin' to no-one who doesn't need to know. Being naive won't get you roles.
                  No sweetie, I am not an idiot. Obviously i didn't discuss the 1st agents rate with the second. I don't discuss other roles with agents.
                  And how do you know that the second agent is not pocketing the extra £150 a day? - providing the role actually exists, of course!
                  The higher rate is around the market rate for the job.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Two agencies with the same role means it's genuine, darling. Agent 2 may be taking larger cut, but he has that much more leeway on price. Keep sending those CV's

PS: It gets worse. Agent 1 may not have even sent your CV. Common way of reducing competition by saying they are submitting you. You then tell all other agents you've already been submitted. Agent 1 then gets a free pass for his favoured candidate.

Comment

Working...
                    X