• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel as a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel as a contractor

I have a question for the everyone - Long time reader first time poster

My situation is as follow - I had been contracting with this company for 1 month when they offered another role to me within the same department, same job description but was on a different project which just happened to be in another country.
    So as this role developed i found myself traveling more and more to this other country which is a 2.5 hour flight, plus transfer times.
    I am now (5 months on) in a situation where i am leaving London at 6pm every Monday and arriving at my hotel at 10pm (4 days away) - and then back on a Friday same times - every week.
    I am getting a 40 quid per day allowance for being out of the UK

Ofcourse all my expenses are covered
    How would most people feel about this?
    The company i am working for justifies this each work as a Professional Work day, but i am coming increasingly annoyed with the large amount of hours i am doing at no real extra benefit (~40)

Anyone experienced an arrangement like this before? Advise?

guess no one has anything to say

Comment

Originally posted by revert View Post
      guess no one has anything to say
      Well, the usual response is if you don't like it walk. Most companies will take the p like this, because contractors will put up with it when their own staff won't.

Comment

Can't you leave earlier on a Moonday, and leave early on a Freeday?

Other than that look at what your contract says about additional hours. and it maybe an idea to talk to your client about it, sounds like your doing the equivalent of a days work for nowt.

But then again, what do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
          Well, the usual response is if you don't like it walk. Most companies will take the p like this, because contractors will put up with it when their own staff won't.
          a lot of companies would have their staff fly in evenings like that and not pay them any extra, some will pay an extra daily allowance

check your contract like the others say, but in hindsight, this should have been sorted out before you went anywhere.

Comment

I bill for travelling time at daily rate / 7.5.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              I bill for travelling time at daily rate / 7.5.
              Then do you charge per hour that back per hour or per day?

Comment

I would negotiate billable travel with them beyond what would be expected as a reasonable journmey time.

I normally say I will travel for 1.5 hours for free, anything beyond that is billed or taken as part of my working day.

Comment

I bill by the day, so I do the flying in my own time but only on a working day (yes that means longer working hours but I'm away from home anyway...). If a client wants me to fly out the day before, I will do so, but that will then become a billable day.

I arrange it after interview and client acceptance but before I sign. It is part of the way I work, not a concession that I will ask for during the contract (and possibly not get). I accept that there are some potential clients who would prefer not to take me on my commuting terms; I can only agree with their preference.

Comment

Originally posted by revert View Post
                    I have a question for the everyone - Long time reader first time poster

My situation is as follow - I had been contracting with this company for 1 month when they offered another role to me within the same department, same job description but was on a different project which just happened to be in another country.
                    So as this role developed i found myself traveling more and more to this other country which is a 2.5 hour flight, plus transfer times.
                    I am now (5 months on) in a situation where i am leaving London at 6pm every Monday and arriving at my hotel at 10pm (4 days away) - and then back on a Friday same times - every week.
                    I am getting a 40 quid per day allowance for being out of the UK

Ofcourse all my expenses are covered
                    How would most people feel about this?
                    The company i am working for justifies this each work as a Professional Work day, but i am coming increasingly annoyed with the large amount of hours i am doing at no real extra benefit (~40)

Anyone experienced an arrangement like this before? Advise?
                    So, you are getting £200 a week as an allowance for being out of the country, so effectively £100 for travel each way.

If £50 is enough for your 2.5 hours of time, then suck it up. If not, you need to negotiate about it, or cut back the amount of time you are travelling / working for free.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X