• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what to do???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do???

seems things have picked up in my line of things

3 interviews, waiting on times and dates
    4 other possibilities

problem is one of the interviews is next week, and the contract is £50 a day less than my normal rate and it means a year out in europe or somewhere else (monday to friday). And offers will be made straight after said interview.

The other contracts are all based in London, me normal manor for work, but clientco are dragging their respective feet over interview dates.

don't want to shoot meself in the foot over this....
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

A bird in the hand...

I've turned down work in the past based on half promises, never again, certainly not in todays market
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

i know, happened to me in september, turned down a role because old clientco wanted me back and then client co dropped the role. Then spent the last two months looking for work.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I think any of us being chosey this year on rate and location are likely to spend a long time on the bench. I have an interview for a role circa 200 miles from home but I'm going to take it if offered.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

My gut reaction is take what comes first especially with a twelve month contract. How long are the other contracts for?

Other than that, can you let the other ClientCo's know your situation and maybe get the interviews brought forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
            My gut reaction is take what comes first especially with a twelve month contract. How long are the other contracts for?

Other than that, can you let the other ClientCo's know your situation and maybe get the interviews brought forward?
            Am trying to get pimps to move things along.

Not really worried about the distance, though the London roles are all rolling and more money. Am very aware of having been on the bench for so long as well.

Only thing is i have to go to Ireland for a family funeral next week which knocks out most of Monday and Tuesday (flying back wednesday morning).

I suppose me other half will just have to deal with no one being around for the next year
            Me cats will probably miss me more

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Why take a role in Euroland if it's less money and you have all those extra expenses. Better off waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                Why take a role in Euroland if it's less money and you have all those extra expenses. Better off waiting.
                all expenses paid including flights, uk company just placed in euroland

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  Am trying to get pimps to move things along.

Not really worried about the distance, though the London roles are all rolling and more money. Am very aware of having been on the bench for so long as well.

Only thing is i have to go to Ireland for a family funeral next week which knocks out most of Monday and Tuesday (flying back wednesday morning).

I suppose me other half will just have to deal with no one being around for the next year
                  Me cats will probably miss me more
                  Not close then? I can never understand why people would be willing to leave their partner for long periods because of work, life is too short to be away from your loved ones just to pursue boring old cash.... you're only going to spend it.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I would take the first job that I wanted - if the Europe one is the first one, then I would take it.

As already said - a bird in the hand and all that.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X