• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eee.. when I were a lad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eee.. when I were a lad

Does anyone remember having Brawn?

When I were a little 'un , mother used to put a slice of Brawn on our chips, it would melt within a minute , it must have had a high fatty content.
    I wonder if I would still eat it now ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

When I were a little 'un , mother used to put a slice of Brawn on our chips, it would melt within a minute , it must have had a high fatty content.
    I just Googled that, and Wikipedia suggests it is also known as "head cheese" (assuming this is the substance you refer to). Not sure I like the sound of that on my chips.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Boiled pigs head?

Comment

Got some here on me toast for breakfast. Yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
          Got some here on me toast for breakfast. Yummy.
          He said "Head Cheese", not Knob Cheese!

Comment

Halfway between spam and pate IIRC.

Take the few bits of pig you can't use in anything else and bind it together with fat.

Sounds yummy.

Comment

Pork Brawn - Recipe

Last week I made pork brawn and was unsure of the results but I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised.

Ingredients

1 pig’s head
              a couple of trotters - preferably back trotters as they have a little more meat on them.
              1 bay leaf
              mixed herbs
              mixed spices
              1 onion
              lemon juice
              Method

Here is my method which I have adapted after reading Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s recipe.

Cut the head and trotters into smaller pieces so that they fit in a large pan.
              Cover with water (salt can be added but I decided not to add any to my brawn).
              Add bay leaf, herbs, spices and pealed/chopped onion.
              Simmer the content and for the first half an hour remove any scum that floats to the top of the pan.
              Simmer the contents for about 4 hours.
              Remove the head and trotters - at this point I decided to just use the meat on the head and trotters and not the ears, skin, eyes or nostrils. I did use the brains which require you to remove the outer skin.
              Mix the meat and brains together and place in a dish.
              Add a dash of lemon juice and some parsley.
              Strain the stock and then boil up until the stock has reduced.
              Spoon a couple of spoonfuls of the stock over the meat and then refrigerate until set.

Eat the brawn cold with mustard or chutney.

Comment

Would you eat pâté if you knew what it was?

"The people should not see how their laws or their sausages are made" -- Bismarck.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Would you eat pâté if you knew what it was?

"The people should not see how their laws or their sausages are made" -- Bismarck.
                  The same could be said for kebab meat. It's no coincidence that several pints of lager are required prior to it becoming a viable food option.
                  Last edited by voodooflux; 8 January 2009, 10:27.
                  Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                    The same could be said for kebab meat. It's no coincidence that several pints of lager are required prior to it becoming a viable food option.
                    Nahh

I like them at lunch time too
                    'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                    X