• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eee.. when I were a lass

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eee.. when I were a lass

When I were a young 'un , I used to take a bag of sweets into school so the boys would chase me and push me over to steal them

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I used to hide mine. I could peel an orange in my pocket, me.

Times have changed. My son ran a profitable little business buying them cheap and selling them on like a mobile tuck shop (it's against school rules, so "allegedly"). Loads of kids in his school are doing it now (allegedly) so he's stopped.

Comment

Sure it was sweets and not disco pills?
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Times have changed. My son ran a profitable little business buying them cheap and selling them on like a mobile tuck shop (it's against school rules, so "allegedly"). Loads of kids in his school are doing it now (allegedly) so he's stopped.
        I used to do that too. I started out with a franchise deal and then made my own way. It's quite lucrative, 50% markup in some cases. I used to play pitch 'n toss and blackjack with the money I generated. Sometimes I went to lessons and learned something. Them were the days.

Comment

When I was young there was a girl at one school nearby who did the buying and selling on sweets thing, against the rules apparently.

She got attacked for the money and sweets, quite badly in fact, and ended up in hospital. The headmaster said it was her own fault, for breaking the school rules, and didn't do any investigation beyond that.

It was one of those defining moments, as you grow up, when I realised that some people really should not be in such positions of authority.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
            When I was young there was a girl at one school nearby who did the buying and selling on sweets thing, against the rules apparently.

She got attacked for the money and sweets, quite badly in fact, and ended up in hospital. The headmaster said it was her own fault, for breaking the school rules, and didn't do any investigation beyond that.

It was one of those defining moments, as you grow up, when I realised that some people really should not be in such positions of authority.
            When did you realise that these were exactly the people who would have positions of authority, up to the highest?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              When did you realise that these were exactly the people who would have positions of authority, up to the highest?
              I was quite a bit older, about 35 years old, when I finally realised that contrary to what I was taught, that very few people rise through ability, most authority positions are people actually placed or are scum-bags (and usually both).

Soon after that I gave up on the ability route and went down the greasing scum bag way and have found my rise to be meteoric to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post

That's what I'd expect. They don't suffer fools gladly, Daleks.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Or at least thats what you told the teachers you were doing
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Or at least thats what you told the teachers you were doing
                    I sat next to a lad at school who used to do that in Miss Prescott's Latin lessons.

Comment

Working...
                    X