• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crime

Total recorded offences >> 2007-08 >> rate per 1000 population >> by local authority district
    From The Home Office

S Bedfordshire (where I live) 84.4
    Luton (next door) 119.1

Leeds (where our daughter studies) 114.3
    Harrogate (next door) 49.4

England's best 2:
    Teesdale 28.3
    Tynedale 29.4

By comparison (Scottish Govt stats):
    Lochcarron (W Highlands) 4.1
    Bettyhill (N Highlands) 0 (OK it's a bit hard to compute rate per 1000 population!)

Thanks for that. I'll continue to avoid Luton.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
      Thanks for that. I'll continue to avoid Luton.
      I was wondering, which was best, Tyne or Tees? Still, probably nobody cares

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        I was wondering, which was best, Tyne or Tees? Still, probably nobody cares
        Is there actually anything in either place worth nicking?

On a related note one of our senior managers has had a laptop nicked from the boot of his car. Was parked in the carpark of Ikea for 15 mins. In that time the scrotes drilled the lock out opened the car and made off with it.

According to local police they specifically target cars with suit jackets hanging up in them as there is a good chance there will be somthing worth nicking in it.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The recorded offences stat can be a bit misleading though. For example, in areas where things are so bad that the Police are swamped, and subsequently fail to deal with a huge amount of the crime, eventually people stop bothering to report it. This leads to a reduction in recorded crime, which of course NL and their spin machine pounce upon and claim as an improvement. Or at least they would do if they were simply a cynical bunch of self-serving charlatans.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
          X