• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you do this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you do this?

linky

Do you destroy old hard drives? I've been smashing mine to pieces with a lump hammer for some time now. Not only does it make it relatively uninteresting to a crim, it's quite enjoyable too!!!

Never has a smiley been more apt...

Older and ...well, just older!!

When I worked at the revenue - yes sorry, we destroyed the hard drives by driving a hammer through them - yey!
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
      When I worked at the revenue - yes sorry, we destroyed the hard drives by driving a hammer through them - yey!
      I thought you just left them on the train?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Not sure how true this is - but a certain government body places hard drives in a special Microwave for like 50-60 seconds? Apparently its the most reliable way of ensuring the data is never recovered [aside from hammer, chisel and fire]

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I thought you just left them on the train?
          That would at least stop the data from getting any further north than Watford Junction.

Comment

Strangely enough my neighbour recently asked my advice about disposing an old PC, I took the HD out and we spent an enjoyable five minutes hitting it with sledgehammers.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              That would at least stop the data from getting any further north than Watford Junction.
              That's the best place for them - we don't have computers, or even elektrikity in't north, ya knaa.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I just give them a wipe with DBAN.

I'm willing to concede that there's a chance you may be able to recover somthing under an electron microscope once a drive's been overwritten several times, but I can't see your average identity thief going to the trouble and huge expense involved.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I've used DBAN in the past, I'm sure it has some crazy "35-pass" method used by the military (or so it claimed/claims)..? I thought anything after 7 passes rendered it unrecoverable?
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
                    Not sure how true this is - but a certain government body places hard drives in a special Microwave for like 50-60 seconds? Apparently its the most reliable way of ensuring the data is never recovered [aside from hammer, chisel and fire]
                    One of which is liable to happen if you do that.

I have decommissioned CDRoms in the MW: just a few seconds does it, they suddenly do an electrical storm all over, and the foil is totally crazed.

Comment

Working...
                    X