• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU Economic confidence collapses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU Economic confidence collapses

From the Ft Online

Economic confidence across the 16-country eurozone has collapsed to levels not seen in Europe for at least 24 years, as unemployment soars and German exporters reel from tumbling global demand.

The latest eurozone economic data, covering the end of 2008, indicated that the recession that began in the first half of last year is still gathering intensity.

The European Commission on Thursday reported its economic sentiment indicator plummeted in December to the lowest level since its survey began in 1985, with steep falls reported across all economic sectors.

“That is quite dramatic and suggests a significant worsening of what is going on,” said Robert Barrie, European economist at Credit Suisse.

Eurozone gross domestic product probably contracted by 1 per cent in the final quarter of last year, Mr Barrie estimated, with a similar fall likely in the first three months of this year.

Such declines would be the sharpest on record since the euro was launched in 1999 and dwarf the contractions of 0.2 per cent seen in the second and third quarters of last year.

“The economy is in meltdown,” added Ken Wattret at BNP Paribas.

Eurozone unemployment, meanwhile, continues to mount, jumping by 202,000 in November – only slightly less than the record 220,000 rise seen in October, according to Eurostat, the European Union’s statistical office.

Lengthening jobless queues in turn have undermined consumer sentiment. Eurozone households, with the exception of those in Spain and Ireland, have not been hit by the effects of falling house prices.

But the region overall has been buffeted badly by the dramatic turn for the worse experienced by industry in Germany, Europe’s largest economy. German exports slumped by a record 10.6 per cent in November alone, according to the country’s statistical office – a dramatic worsening after a fall of just 0.6 per cent in October.

“We knew that external demand had dropped dramatically – and that is now reflected in the hard data,” said Dirk Schumacher, economist at Goldman Sachs in Frankfurt.

Is that bad? It sounds it...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      Is that bad? It sounds it...
      Best wait for the Atw analysis.

Sure will make the Euro drop heavily against Sterling and the Dollar.

Comment

Will this make my potential A6 purchase more affordable?
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          Best wait for the Atw analysis.

Sure will make the Euro drop heavily against Sterling and the Dollar.
          Will it increase the SKA value?
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

ooh you smug lot in the UK.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Perhaps this is good news as we have had warnings that the dollar is going to collapse too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/4...-collapse.html

If they all collapse it isn't a collapse at all. Maybe the new standard for stability will be the Zimbabwean dollar.

That was yesterday anyway, the dollar wil reign supreme today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...g-in-2009.html
              Last edited by xoggoth; 8 January 2009, 16:32.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X