• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS TechNet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS TechNet

anyone use this? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../ms788692.aspx

£235+VAT

i assume i can claim this as a business expense?
    how does the licensing work? can i run the "evaluation" copies on more than one pc? i.e. mine and the co sec pc?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    anyone use this? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../ms788692.aspx

£235+VAT

i assume i can claim this as a business expense?
    how does the licensing work? can i run the "evaluation" copies on more than one pc? i.e. mine and the co sec pc?
    I bought it last month, but have not put it through the company. Personal choice (and can't justify putting it through the company). The model is one license per purchase. So you can only install it and run it on one machine at any one time.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

how can you not justify it? I'm a PM "consultancy" and need to know the technologies that I will be managing the installs of... there may be special detail / tasks I need to know about!

Plus Sharepoint server is on there. my client dont use it or anything like. i want to see if its worth a myco purchase.

I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        how can you not justify it? I'm a PM "consultancy" and need to know the technologies that I will be managing the installs of... there may be special detail / tasks I need to know about!

Plus Sharepoint server is on there. my client dont use it or anything like. i want to see if its worth a myco purchase.

Because my role as an IT Security Analyst does not require the need to install Operating Systems and Microsoft specific applicationsas part of my day to day role (albeit that I am not working right now, but I hope you get the drift). It could be argued as not being related to my business and that I bought the subs in order to learn new technologies in order for me to get new work.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

How is it different to the Action Pack which costs about the same?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            Because my role as an IT Security Analyst does not require the need to install Operating Systems and Microsoft specific applicationsas part of my day to day role (albeit that I am not working right now, but I hope you get the drift). It could be argued as not being related to my business and that I bought the subs in order to learn new technologies in order for me to get new work.
            don't want to tell you how to run your business and all that.....but i'll try anyway!!

I don't think HMRC will analyse your expenses that closely that you would get into trouble for this.

and besides, if you are a security analyst, you can easily argue, i want to learn Vista security, Sharepoint security etc etc

throwing away money if you ask me, and crazy not to claim it.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              How is it different to the Action Pack which costs about the same?
              I've been meaning to look into this myself.

Am I right in that MS are or have tightened up on who can sign up to the Action Pack?

I believe TechNet is aimed at people who support the technologies whereas the Action Pack is aimed at people who sell them - don't quote me on that though.

Comment

With action pack you get full versions with licenses, but the restriction is you can't use them on production servers. So you can run your small business on Windows Server & Vista, run development MSSQL databases, get Office, etc. But you can't run a customer-facing web-server on them.
                Also, you are limited to 10 client licenses.

There aren't restrictions so much, but you have to take a test to get some/all of the software. When I did it, I had to take the test to get Visual Studio, but I did a test on Expression Studio and passed despite never having heard of it.

What's the deal with Technet? Are they technically demo licenses?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  With action pack you get full versions with licenses, but the restriction is you can't use them on production servers. So you can run your small business on Windows Server & Vista, run development MSSQL databases, get Office, etc. But you can't run a customer-facing web-server on them.
                  Also, you are limited to 10 client licenses.

There aren't restrictions so much, but you have to take a test to get some/all of the software. When I did it, I had to take the test to get Visual Studio, but I did a test on Expression Studio and passed despite never having heard of it.

What's the deal with Technet? Are they technically demo licenses?
                  So,you take a test and only get given the apps for the tests you pass?

Does the price vary then to reflect this?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    don't want to tell you how to run your business and all that.....but i'll try anyway!!

I don't think HMRC will analyse your expenses that closely that you would get into trouble for this.

and besides, if you are a security analyst, you can easily argue, i want to learn Vista security, Sharepoint security etc etc

throwing away money if you ask me, and crazy not to claim it.
                    I don't want to take the chances of falling foul if I get invetigated. You have made the argument for why I can't claim it. It's not related to the work I am doing, therefore I cannot claim it.

Comment

Working...
                    X