• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Twentieth Anniversary of Kegworth Air Crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twentieth Anniversary of Kegworth Air Crash

It was twenty years ago this evening that an airliner crashed on the embankment of the M1 at Kegworth.

A friend of mine was working as an embalmer for a Leicester funeral director back then. He had been ardently pursuing a young lady for some time, and that evening had finally managed to get her round to his place for dinner. Knowing that some people found it off-putting, he had carefully avoided mentioning his profession.

The food and candlelight did the trick, and they finished up in his bed.

At about two in the morning, his phone went. Having answered it he started to get up, apologising to his date and explaining that he had an emergency call-out.

"Why, what's happened? What do you do, anyway?" she asked.

"Well, you know that news flash earlier about the plane crash on the motorway?"

"Yes..."

"Well, I'm an embalmer. I have to get up to the airport to help deal with the bodies coming out of the plane."

He never got a second date with her

He will eventually

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      He will eventually

Comment

So he went from dealing with one kind of stiff to another

I remember the news flashes. A terrible tragedy. always think of it when I pass there on the M1

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
          I remember the news flashes. A terrible tragedy. always think of it when I pass there on the M1
          Same here Can't believe it was so long ago
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Me too.

For quite a while afterwards there was a big inverted V through the trees and bushes on the embankment where the plane had smashed through them. In the end the council chopped the whole lot down.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Me too.

For quite a while afterwards there was a big inverted V through the trees and bushes on the embankment where the plane had smashed through them. In the end the council chopped the whole lot down.
              Why was the "V" inverted?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Because the plane went into it nose-first. As you can see from the photo on the BBC story, the wings and broken-off tail section cleared out numbers of trees.

As a result, when one went past on the motorway, the cleared area went from being broad nearest the carriageway to just narrow enough to accommodate the nose of the plane at the top of the embankment.

You can get an impression of the scene about 17 - 19 seconds into the video at the bottom of the BBC story.

Comment

Me too, I'm still amazed that so many people survive air crashes despite having worked in aerospace.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    It's a matter of perspective
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X