• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doorstep rubbish collection to end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doorstep rubbish collection to end?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5477863.ece

Giant street bin takes over from doorstep collections

Doorstep rubbish collections are being scrapped with families being required instead to use huge communal bins in a scheme that might be introduced across the country.

Brighton & Hove City Council will begin installing 3,200-litre communal bins in 500 streets next week – one for every 40 homes. For some residents the bins will be 150 yards away. Once the scheme is ready, dustmen will no longer remove black sacks from outside homes.

The system, which will leave 27,000 families without weekly collections, is being watched closely by other councils and some towns are already preparing similar arrangements.

Brighton council has calculated that introducing the communal bins, which will cost £615,000, will save £970,000 over seven years.

Waste campaigners said yesterday that the change could signal the end of traditional rubbish collections, which date back more than 130 years. Supporters say that communal bins, common on the Continent, are more convenient and lead to tidier streets.

Doretta Cocks, founder of the Campaign for Weekly Waste Collection, said: “I wonder if we will eventually see the end of the doorstep rubbish collections. People don’t realise how much they value the service until it has gone. They have got used to putting the bin on the doorstep and having it removed every week.”

More than a half of local authorities have already reduced rubbish collections from weekly to fortnightly.

Eric Pickles, the Shadow Environment Secretary, said that the communal bin scheme was another attack on traditional rubbish collections.

“Across the country, councils are being forced to cut back on rubbish collections, from reducing their frequency to banning bin bags next to wheelie bins, to reducing bin capacity,” he said. “Frontline services are being axed, while council tax goes up year on year, with new bin taxes on top around the corner. People must fork out a fortune in council tax under this Government. Hard-working families deserve decent services in return.”

Communal bins are already used in blocks of flats and some inner-city areas, including parts of Westminster and Edinburgh. But campaigners believe that the Brighton scheme will be used as a trial for a much wider use.

Hastings and St Leonards, in East Sussex, has said that the bins could be introduced in some areas this summer. Brighton & Hove council says that Cardiff has sought advice on the scheme. The new bins were being introduced after a successful trial that began in 2004, it said.

Unlike black sacks, which are frequently ripped open by seagulls and foxes, communal bins are a secure way of storing rubbish, it insists.

The system also means that people will no longer have to store a week’s rubbish at home as it can be placed in a communal bin on any day. The council said that it was trying to place the bins on double yellow lines or on wide pavements, but admitted that some parking spaces had been lost.

The new bins are being introduced primarily in areas where there are large numbers of flats or houses with limited of space for wheelie bins. Refuse collectors will continue to collect recycling boxes from outside homes.

The Local Government Association supports the scheme, but says that the choice of rubbish collection system should be decided locally. “You cannot prescribe from the centre that every single home must have a bin which must be emptied every week,” a spokesman said.

Environmental campaigners fear a reduction in recycling. Caroline Lucas, the Green Party leader and South East MEP, said that families might find it harder to separate items daily and the large size of the bins could encourage wastefulness.

The story so far . . .

1297 The law requires householders to keep front of house clear of refuse

1354 “Rakers” are employed in each London ward to rake rubbish together and remove it once a week

1407 Household rubbish required to be kept indoors until removed by the rakers

1408 Removal order by Henry IV says forfeits will be paid if refuse is not removed

1848 Public Health Act gives councils the power to provide dustbins

1875 Public Health Act makes it the councils’ duty to arrange the removal and disposal of waste

1914 Dustbins introduced by many councils. Because the bins are heavy, backdoor collection is common

1922 First petrol-powered refuse vehicle used

1936 Public Health Act gives councils new power on collection of rubbish

1977 Bottle banks are introduced

====================================

If it wasn't for the vandals setting fire to the bins I would be in favour.

This is what they have in Cyprus. Giant commercial type wheelie bins shared by about 5 to 10 houses in a street.

Difference is the refuse is collected every other day and the council tax costs £100 a year!

Comment

This is what they do in Edinburgh's New Town, it's actually a bit of a mess sometimes when the bins overflow.

There was a big fight about it coming in, went on for years because the place is a UNESCO world heritage site.

Comment

You could see it working with flats or a small block of houses all close together I suppose. But you can see all kinds of problems if it isn't done well.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Good stuff, and they will be able to pass on the savings through reduced council tax I'm sure.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            This is what they do in Edinburgh's New Town, it's actually a bit of a mess sometimes when the bins overflow.

There was a big fight about it coming in, went on for years because the place is a UNESCO world heritage site.
            Which it won't stay if the Edinburgh Council keep effing about with it Grrr

Comment

Your local chavs will find it most entertaining. An experiment with this in a nearby town in NL ended after young tulipheads repeatedly squirted petrol into the meg-bins and threw matches in them.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is noone going to make a crass joke out of the name of the founder of the Campaign for Weekly Waste Collection?

My, my. Things around here are slipping

Comment

I've seen this in France but don't know if the whole country works that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Is noone going to make a crass joke out of the name of the founder of the Campaign for Weekly Waste Collection?

My, my. Things around here are slipping
                    andyw will be turning in his grave.

Comment

Working...
                    X