• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pointless Big Brother Nu Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pointless Big Brother Nu Labour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7819230.stm

Rules forcing internet companies to keep details of every e-mail sent in the UK are a waste of money and an attack on civil liberties, critics say.

From March all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) will by law have to keep information about every e-mail sent or received in the UK for a year.

The government will pay the ISPs more than £25m to ensure work runs smoothly.

The Home Office insists the data, which does not include e-mails' content, is vital for crime and terror inquiries.

Dr Richard Clayton, a security researcher at the University of Cambridge's computer lab said the money could have been better spent.

He said:"There's going to be a record of every single e-mail which arrived addressed to you and all the e-mails you sent out via your ISP.

"That of course includes all the spam.

What a idiotic control freakery induced waste of public and private money!

Another winning New Labour "idea"!

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Taxpayers

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7819230.stm

Rules forcing internet companies to keep details of every e-mail sent in the UK are a waste of money and an attack on civil liberties, critics say.

From March all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) will by law have to keep information about every e-mail sent or received in the UK for a year.

The Home Office insists the data, which does not include e-mails' content, is vital for crime and terror inquiries.

Dr Richard Clayton, a security researcher at the University of Cambridge's computer lab said the money could have been better spent.

He said:"There's going to be a record of every single e-mail which arrived addressed to you and all the e-mails you sent out via your ISP.

"That of course includes all the spam.

What a idiotic control freakery induced waste of public and private money!

Another winning New Labour "idea"!
      It's modern political and police been counter logic. If you're looking for a needle in a haystack, just make a bigger haystack and somewhere you might find a needle.

F**king idiots.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This seems completely pointless (in addition to being wrong). If it doesn't cover webmail and small ISPs it can be circumvented by any 5 year old.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Duh...so they throw away the interesting bit?

The six words I've highlighted defeat any logic that probably wasn't there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

The six words I've highlighted defeat any logic that probably wasn't there anyway.
            I wonder if they will begin keeping the contents sometime in the future once people have accepted this as "nothing to worry about".

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              I wonder if they will begin keeping the contents sometime in the future once people have accepted this as "nothing to worry about".
              Probably, at which stage they make the haystack even bigger.

I'll repeat my call for government to blow our money in a more interesting way. We need a new Hubble soon, and my vote says it should be British!

Comment

I actually use a different SMTP and POP email server from my ISP's, it uses TLS for secure comms and is hosted outside the EU.

How's this ridiculous "law" going to do anything except waste peoples money?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Rather than the content of the email, maybe its more about the timing or who the emails is sent to?

ie was I really gang raping someones daughter (say) at 4pm on saturday4th October at the same time as sending an email to my mum?

or perhaps its just about who it goes to

ie can I really claim I had no relationship with bank robber Dave when I sent him 300 emails the week before the gig.

Its 25m for fooks sake, pennies. We allready do the same with phone records, so its just current same police powers "keeping up" with technology.

Fold away your daily mails and calm down people.
                  The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                    Rather than the content of the email, maybe its more about the timing or who the emails is sent to?

ie was I really gang raping someones daughter (say) at 4pm on saturday4th October at the same time as sending an email to my mum?
                    It's not up to you to prove you weren't gang raping someone's daughter.

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                    ie can I really claim I had no relationship with bank robber Dave when I sent him 300 emails the week before the gig.
                    It's so bloody easy to take on a fake identity to send e-mails that this wouldn't prove anything. Could be a good way to frame people though, and the opportunities for blackmail are enormous.

Comment

Working...
                    X