• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Quite Interesting fact about energy-saving light bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Quite Interesting fact about energy-saving light bulbs

New build housing has to have a certain number of light fittings that will not accept incandescent bulbs.

(I oversimplify Part L1 of the Building regs etc 2006).

The standard way for builders to do that is to install at least a number of BC3 fittings. This is a 3-pin bayonet with a spacing designed not to accept standard 2-pin BC bulbs.

The trouble is, this is a proprietary fitting owned by Eaton. Guess what that does to the price and availability of BC3 bulbs?

You need to get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      We told him to go out hill walking. It'll do him good.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I'll get out more as soon as I can see my way to the door

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          I'll get out more as soon as I can see my way to the door
          Open the curtains.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            New build housing has to have a certain number of light fittings that will not accept incandescent bulbs.

(I oversimplify Part L1 of the Building regs etc 2006).

The standard way for builders to do that is to install at least a number of BC3 fittings. This is a 3-pin bayonet with a spacing designed not to accept standard 2-pin BC bulbs.
            I would have thought that the standard way to do this was to use Halogen downlighters.

Not only do you meet this requiremet but you get lots of points from the style police.

(I personally hate this method of lighting a room, but I appear to be in a minority of 1)

tim

Comment

Working...
            X