• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friday Poetry Corner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Poetry Corner

"I and the public know what all school children learn
    Those to whom evil is done
    Do evil in return."

W.H. Auden

During the Second World War, Koestler continually spoke out against the atrocities of the Nazi regime in Germany — his Central European Jewish family background made him particularly involved in a way that many British and United States politicians were not. Witnessing first hand the growth of extremist tendencies in the region no doubt added to his resolve.

Koestler and a minority of writers and public figures believed that if they sufficiently described the horrors being committed in Europe in news media and public meetings, it would spur the West to action. Despite their efforts, these protests often fell on deaf ears. Capturing their frustration, Koestler described these people as the "screamers". In 1944, he wrote:

We, the screamers, have been at it now for about ten years. We started on the night when the epileptic van der Lubbe set fire to the German Parliament; we said that if you don't quench those flames at once, they will spread all over the world; you thought we were maniacs. At present we have the mania of trying to tell you about the killing-by hot steam, mass-electrocution, and live burial-of the total Jewish population of Europe.

So far three million have died. It is the greatest mass killing in recorded history; and it goes on daily, hourly, as regularly as the ticking of your watch. I have photographs before me on the desk while I am writing this, and that accounts for my emotion and bitterness.

Despite these frustrations, Koestler and the "screamers" continued their campaign until the late stages of the war.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 January 2009, 09:21.

String is a very important thing.
    Rope is thicker, but string is quicker.

S. Milligan.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
    X