• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrorists - again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrorists - again

Two stories caught my eye today:

1) Australian held in Guantanamo seeks UK passport - http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...GUANTANAMO.xml

2) Verdict due in Spain's 9/11 trial - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4281808.stm

In the first we may have to give British nationality to an Aussie held in Gautanamo who has been charged with "aiding the enemy, attempted murder by an unprivileged belligerent and conspiracy to commit war crimes"

In the second story the Spanish are pressing for 9/11 conspirators to be sentenced to "25 years for each of the 2,973 victims of the attack"

Which would you choose, let terrorists come to our country, or jail them for 74,325 years each?

Originally posted by PRC1964
    Two stories caught my eye today:

1) Australian held in Guantanamo seeks UK passport - http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...GUANTANAMO.xml

2) Verdict due in Spain's 9/11 trial - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4281808.stm

In the first we may have to give British nationality to an Aussie held in Gautanamo who has been charged with "aiding the enemy, attempted murder by an unprivileged belligerent and conspiracy to commit war crimes"

In the second story the Spanish are pressing for 9/11 conspirators to be sentenced to "25 years for each of the 2,973 victims of the attack"

Which would you choose, let terrorists come to our country, or jail them for 74,325 years each?
    One of the problems with Guantanmo is that these people have been ACCUSED but there is no likelyhood that they will be found GUILTY of any offence as the US has no interest in bringing them to court.
    The US is behaving in exactly the same way as the regimes which they proposed to overthrow in the first place. They can not maintain the moral high ground while camp X-Ray exists.

I have no problem with handing down a death sentence on these people or any terrorist once convicted.

Please dont start the Georg and Tony are terrorists argument, as far as I ma concerned they declared and went to war on a legitimate cause. I personally dont agree with said cause but I do think they acted properly and are therefore not terrorists. Start a new thread if you disagree.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Agree with LG yet again. Basic justic requires some sort of proper examination.

Certainly no reason why anyone even SUSPECTED of being a threat should get a British passport though. We have no duties to foreigners and since this one is not even in the country all the "human rights" crap does not apply. If Clarke does not stamp on that pretty quick we will see that all the tough talk is just bluster.

PS I meant I agreed with LGs 1st two paras, not the last.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Jail who you numpty -- almost all of those who attempted 9/11 are dead and bin Laden is still at large!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Jail who you numpty -- almost all of those who attempted 9/11 are dead and bin Laden is still at large!
          Read the article you numpty. They are not the ones who flew the planes (obviously).

LG & Xog, yes I agree that the Guantanamo prisonors should face trial or be released. I disagree with prisoners being given British nationality to get them out of a sticky situation.

Comment

I disagree with prisoners being given British nationality to get them out of a sticky situation.
            Not sure on this one, if it were me I would want every option explored to get me out of that situation, even if I were guilty.
            By not offering the passport we may be condemning an innocent man to an unknown term.
            I have to work with a presumption of innocence and say get him out of there, as I would if he were locked up under dubious circumstances under any regime.
            Even though my personal feelings on this one are somewhat difficult. I cant see why any innocent person would have been there, but I believe in due process.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              By not offering the passport we may be condemning an innocent man to an unknown term.
              That's not the basis for issueing passports -- AFAIK (and I about to apply for one actually) a good character is required -- this is really catch all phrase that makes it easy to deny passport. And I'd say its reasonable until after court makes decision, like say Michal Jackson applied for UK passport before trial completed -- surely it would make sense to wait.

Now in case with XRay people don't get charged, which is the bad thing and UK should demand that its ally charge or release people.

Comment

So how would you feel

if we were to offer british passports to all the convicted 'rapists and murderers' on Death Row in American prisons.
                Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                  if we were to offer british passports to all the convicted 'rapists and murderers' on Death Row in American prisons.
                  Different matter once convicted, and even if they had British passports that is no guarantee of reduction in sentence as shown not so long ago.
                  It is also not a matter of choice when they are entitled!

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    It is also not a matter of choice when they are entitled!
                    They might not be passing "good character" requirement.

Comment

Working...
                    X