• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serious trouble at German industrial giant BASF

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious trouble at German industrial giant BASF

This is the company that survived the Great Depression and the 2nd World War.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...600010,00.html

"Not a week went by after that without some machine on the premises having to be shut down. It has become unnervingly quiet at BASF. A total of 40 large-scale units worth billions of euros have suddenly come to a standstill.

The slowdown eventually hit A3, as the ammonia facility here is called. On normal days the unit produces more than 1,000 tons. Aside from the symbolic importance of this product, it generates potential sales of roughly €300,000 ($400,000) a day, a significant amount, even for a major player like BASF.

But in mid-November the company extinguished the waste gas plume, the eternal flame of the chemical industry. Since then, the approximately €500-million unit, which is normally operated in shifts, has not produced a single gram. Production at the second ammonia unit nearby, known as A4, has been reduced to a bare minimum. No one knows how long it will continue to run."
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I wonder if anyone else in the congregation knows what the symbolic importance of ammonia is to ze Germans?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      This is the company that survived the Great Depression and the 2nd World War.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...600010,00.html

"Not a week went by after that without some machine on the premises having to be shut down. It has become unnervingly quiet at BASF. A total of 40 large-scale units worth billions of euros have suddenly come to a standstill.

The slowdown eventually hit A3, as the ammonia facility here is called. On normal days the unit produces more than 1,000 tons. Aside from the symbolic importance of this product, it generates potential sales of roughly €300,000 ($400,000) a day, a significant amount, even for a major player like BASF.

But in mid-November the company extinguished the waste gas plume, the eternal flame of the chemical industry. Since then, the approximately €500-million unit, which is normally operated in shifts, has not produced a single gram. Production at the second ammonia unit nearby, known as A4, has been reduced to a bare minimum. No one knows how long it will continue to run."
      The war is over. Your fascination with Germans is unhealthy. Move on or get help!

Comment

Ammonium ?

used in fertiliser and explosives IIRC

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          The war is over. Your fascination with Germans is unhealthy. Move on or get help!
          I actually quite admire Germany and visit it every year. I don't have a war obsession unlike some on here. Just fascinated by the economics - I used to think that Germany were better because of their huge export industry but now am changing my mind rapidly.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Ammonium ?

explosives

Yes, that's why it's something deep in the German soul; whenever they've had troubles with other countries their imports have been cut off and they've had to manufacture ammonia from the air basically. It's called the Haber-process.

Comment

I actually quite admire Germany and visit it every year. I don't have a war obsession unlike some on here. Just fascinated by the economics - I used to think that Germany were better because of their huge export industry but now am changing my mind rapidly.
              So why do you think they are better now?
              Or are they not better?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                It's called economics. The German economy is the principle economic driving force in the Eurozone, if not the entire EU. If that goes belly up, so does the Eurozone, and so to a degree does the EU.

What on earth discussing the German economy has to do with the war is beyond me....I would suggest it is you who needs help. Or at least to learn what economics is all about.

Mind you, you're not alone there on this board!
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I used to think that Germany were better because of their huge export industry
                  I did too. Seems like diversification and not over-reliance on any one aspect is the best safeguard for a country's economy. Who'd have thought?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    So why do you think they are better now?
                    Or are they not better?
                    I think in almost every circumstance, apart from the perfect economic storm we are going through, an exporting country would be better off. But as the article shows, when demand stops EVERYWHERE, an exporting country (with low consumption) is fooked.
                    So I think they are not better off now.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X