• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone tried the Paul McKenna diet thing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried the Paul McKenna diet thing?

My new years resolution was to drop 2 stone, and I've been doing the Paul McKenna thing - eat only when you're hungry, eat what you like, eat very slowly, stop eating when you think you're full.

4 days in I'm amazed at how little I'm eating. Today I ate about half my lunch and realised I was full. All I need now is to stick with it....
    ǝןqqıʍ

Its sticking with it which is the difficult part! Which is why I like the slimming world diet (you can each as much as you like of certain foods : done eat meat and carbs on same day).

Comment

It cost me a small fortune to be the size I am, and I have invested mucho spondulits over the years into several drinking establishments in order to achieve it. Why would I want to waste all that by dieting?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Its sticking with it which is the difficult part! Which is why I like the slimming world diet (you can each as much as you like of certain foods : done eat meat and carbs on same day).
        Brillo, I agree with most things your say, but not eating carbs and meat on the same day is utter tulip. There is absolutely no reason not to combine food groups and it is almost impossible to do anyway i.e. Meat contains protein and a small amount of carbs etc.

You can't beat sensible portions of healthy food, along with exercise. All these celebrity diets do is build pseudo science on top of a calorie restricted diet to make it sound fashionable.
        Last edited by FSM with Cheddar; 9 January 2009, 13:31.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          My new years resolution was to drop 2 stone, and I've been doing the Paul McKenna thing - eat only when you're hungry, eat what you like, eat very slowly, stop eating when you think you're full.

4 days in I'm amazed at how little I'm eating. Today I ate about half my lunch and realised I was full. All I need now is to stick with it....
          I used the smoking book, worked a treat, made giving up easy. I used to think the guy was a charlatan!
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I read the Paul McKenna book/CD and it worked a treat (BMI went from 30+ to 25).

Probably worth listening to the CD every week though just to re-inforce everything. Biggest change I noticed was the ability for my body to tell my brain exactly what food it wants to eat. As opposed to me just thinking I'm hungry and eating anything in the cupboard.

Comment

I tried it back in the springtime of last year - i bought the book and listened to the CD a few times. It worked for a while, I was off chocolate and crisps without much conscious effort, I just didn't want to eat them any more. Didn't get on so well with the leaving stuff on your plate part, I always seemed to end up eating the whole meal

In the end it kind of faded away, probably due to my lack of ability to stick with anything very long (ideal contractor!) rather than anything wrong with the approach itself. Having said that, I did stumble upon his show on Sky the other day and kind of got back into the way of thinking pretty easily, I'm sort of giving it another try.

"Keep them at 24,000"
              "No, feet"

Comment

Exercise and healthy sensible eating is the way to go. I don't believe in diets.

If you go on a fad diet, you'll lose your target weight and then start eating normally again, thereby putting all that weight you lost back on again.

Though chewing your food slowly is a recognised fact that you will eat less, it stimulates the saliva glands and digestion.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
                  Brillo, I agree with most things your say, but not eating carbs and meat on the same day is utter tulip. There is absolutely no reason not to combine food groups and it is almost impossible to do anyway i.e. Meat contains protein and a small amount of carbs etc.

You can't beat sensible portions of healthy food, along with exercise. All these celebrity diets do is build pseudo science on top of a calorie restricted diet to make it sound fashionable.
                  "I agree with most things your say" : why thank you kind Sir.

The only reason I mention the diet is that it works very well for me. I agree with the exercise bit but I have a bad back and struggle to find the time.

Slimming world is not calorie restricted : you can eat as much as you want of certain foods (but as you say not protein/carbs on same day). You also get some milk/bread and some "syns". The syns work out to about a mars bar a day.

The reason I like it is that I have a big appetite. I eat loads of calories.

I appreciate it might not work for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post

I see no reason why some seemingly odd diets can't work, scientifically. That's not to say most aren't a lot of tripe, but applying medical science to dieting I'd expect to see some counterintuitive results.

So Paul McKenna is doing a TV show and that's all you do - can't be a long program. Doesn't he hypnotise anyone into anexoria or something fun?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X