• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government (ie. your taxes) at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government (ie. your taxes) at work

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...mists-say.html

At a cost of around £50bn over five years, it would help to prevent a further unravelling of the housing market slump and the social distress which comes with repossession, according to a report by Shamik Dhar and Danny Gabay, directors at Fathom Financial Consulting.

Mr Dhar said that Fathom's plan would involve the Government buying homes at a discount to market prices, to protect the taxpayer. It would then rent the property back to the former owner, allowing families to stay in their own homes through difficult times.

"Essentially the tenant turns into a council house tenant," said Mr Dhar. "The Bank of England will have to print money at some point, so why not buy the assets that are at the core of the problem?"

Yep we are all to become BTL landlords, whether we like it or not.

I love New Labour!

I can't afford to buy a Bugatti Veyron. Perhaps the Government could buy it for me and I could rent it off them?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I think the future lies with making all jobs pay exactly the same amount of money equally, regardless of the job. All future houses are built to an exact specification, and 50% of all tax money is spent on the military.
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...mists-say.html

At a cost of around £50bn over five years, it would help to prevent a further unravelling of the housing market slump and the social distress which comes with repossession, according to a report by Shamik Dhar and Danny Gabay, directors at Fathom Financial Consulting.

Mr Dhar said that Fathom's plan would involve the Government buying homes at a discount to market prices, to protect the taxpayer. It would then rent the property back to the former owner, allowing families to stay in their own homes through difficult times.

"Essentially the tenant turns into a council house tenant," said Mr Dhar. "The Bank of England will have to print money at some point, so why not buy the assets that are at the core of the problem?"

Yep we are all to become BTL landlords, whether we like it or not.

I love New Labour!
        Actually this makes much better sense than any other proposals put forward and at a relatively modest cost too (what's 50 billion compared to the other stuff they've wasted and are going to waste?). Much better value than bailing out the banks.
        And when the property market rises (as it will do) then the taxpayer gets it all back.
        By making people feel a little more secure, they'll spend more.
        The housing market will stabilise a lot quicker ensuring confidence.

I like it - finally a sensible proposal.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Actually this makes much better sense than any other proposals put forward and at a relatively modest cost too (what's 50 billion compared to the other stuff they've wasted and are going to waste?). Much better value than bailing out the banks.
          And when the property market rises (as it will do) then the taxpayer gets it all back.

You really don't think deeply into anything do you? Just like the AGW stuff, you see the hockey stick graph, bingo, the opinion is formed in your tiny mind.

Think about it. It's the most ridiculous idea at every level.

Comment

I think it sounds like a pretty decent idea myself.

What's all the fuss about?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

I agree...but it makes me slightly nervous that they are coming out with what looks like it could be a good idea. Experience shows that the devil is in the detail with this mob and I'd want to see the fine print to see what the inevitable catch is because as you say, on the face of it this seems to be a potential winner for the taxpayer over time. And that would be completely out of character!!

So I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                You really don't think deeply into anything do you? Just like the AGW stuff, you see the hockey stick graph, bingo, the opinion is formed in your tiny mind.

Think about it. It's the most ridiculous idea at every level.
                Says the Daily Mail little Englander
                There, there. Leave the thinking to people with more than your few measly brain cells, there's a good chap.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  I agree...but it makes me slightly nervous that they are coming out with what looks like it could be a good idea. Experience shows that the devil is in the detail with this mob and I'd want to see the fine print to see what the inevitable catch is because as you say, on the face of it this seems to be a potential winner for the taxpayer over time. And that would be completely out of character!!

The suggestion is in a "report by Shamik Dhar and Danny Gabay, directors at Fathom Financial Consulting;" they used to work for the Bank of England. That's hardly government policy.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

It would be a pragmatic solution that goes to the root of lack of confidence in the economy. But as you say there must be many provisos.
                    Certainly better than printing money which has consequences no one can predict.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X