• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain does lead the world in one future growth industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain does lead the world in one future growth industry

From the first test tube baby, to the first cloned animal and now the first designer baby:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/0...aby/index.html

This is going to be a big growth industry (for those who can pay).
    Who knows, maybe even Dim could get an implant that raises his IQ to 3 figures.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    From the first test tube baby, to the first cloned animal and now the first designer baby:

Or any luck a cure for AtW's autism.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

A bit disingenuous to call it a designer baby - this was selecting an embryo that didn't have a mutated gene that is known to cause cancer, and carriers of which often have a double mastectomy before they hit 20 to prevent them from developing breast cancer.

As such I see nothing wrong with it at all.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        A bit disingenuous to call it a designer baby - this was selecting an embryo that didn't have a mutated gene that is known to cause cancer, and carriers of which often have a double mastectomy before they hit 20 to prevent them from developing breast cancer.

As such I see nothing wrong with it at all.
        From the article:

What's different about the girl born Friday is that she is the first infant known to have been tested in Britain as an embryo for a gene that is merely likely -- not certain -- to cause disease.
        I also see nothing wrong with it, but I would say she is a designer baby, even though the DNA wasn't artificially manipulated.

Comment

"designer baby" is an emotive term generally accepted as referring to selecting nonsense like hair colour, eye colour, gender etc. This is patently something different which is why they are referring to it as selection.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It's an interesting topic. Selecting for hair or eye colour might be nonsense, but is it acceptable to select/modify the DNA to improve resistance to disease, cancers etc? If yes, then is it acceptable to select for body composition, metabolism (tendency to gain weight and such)? If yes, what about intelligence? Do we have to subsidise the procedure for the poorer elements of the society? I have no answers...

Comment

Indeed - a very interesting topic. I lean towards if it cures a life-threatening disease yes, if not then tough.

I agree though...very fuzzy line between the two.

Comment

All I can think off is that whilst a particular gene, which may cause breast cancer, has been removed, that is no guarantee that the adult will be breast cancer free, due to other factors in the environment and biology which may trigger it as well.

But the whole eugenics thing is interesting and man manipulating himself is a self-propelled evolutionary advantage.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                X