• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK slump 'is worst for 28 years'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK slump 'is worst for 28 years'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7820728.stm

The UK economy shrank by 1.5% in the last three months of 2008, its worst performance in 28 years, a think tank has concluded.

The National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) also warned the economic downturn was worsening.

Its estimation comes two weeks ahead of the release of official statistics that will show if the UK is in recession.

The think tank also said the government's estimates for growth this year and next were too optimistic.

Official data showed the economy shrank 0.6% between July and September.

The UK will formally be in recession if the figures released by the Office of National Statistics show this contraction continuing in the fourth quarter.

Increased unemployment

The NIESR said: "Since 1955, when quarterly figures were first produced, there have been only five quarters in which output has fallen more sharply, with the lowest figure of -2.6% in 1958."

The think tank said its track record in producing early estimates of UK gross domestic product suggested its figure for October to December would only be between 0.1 and 0.2% different to the first official estimate.

It said bank lending - or the lack of it - lies at the heart of the current malaise and the government may have to consider other ways of getting money to consumers and companies.

NIESR economist Simon Kirby said the chancellor's prediction that the economy would shrink by 1% this year was "overly optimistic" and normal growth was unlikely even by 2010.

"I think it's certainly the case that the chancellor's forecast published in November are not consistent with the numbers we have released," he said.

"Certainly his forecast for 2009 does look overly optimistic. In actual fact his forecast of a return to a reasonable rate of growth in 2010 also looks too optimistic."

There are growing signs on the High Street that the economic downturn is worsening.

While shops such as Woolworths, Zavvi, Whittards, Viyella, and The Officers Club have gone into administration, the Office for National Statistics said on Friday that UK manufacturing output was falling at its fastest pace since 1981.

Meanwhile, the number of people out of work in the UK rose by 137,000 to 1.86 million in the three months to October - the highest level since 1997.

However, at the same time, supermarket chains Waitrose and Sainsbury's have both said they have just seen their busiest Christmas trading periods.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    However, at the same time, supermarket chains Waitrose and Sainsbury's have both said they have just seen their busiest Christmas trading periods.
    Given that they have achieved this by increasing the types of items that they sell, thus taking even more business away from the rest of the High Street, this is hardly a statistic that should be viewed positively

tim

Comment

Watch my lips..... 'No return to boom and bust' !!!!

It could be 'No return to boom' !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7820728.stm

The UK economy shrank by 1.5% in the last three months of 2008, its worst performance in 28 years, a think tank has concluded.
        I was contracting in London 28 years ago. It was good. Don't let them scare you.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          I was contracting in London 28 years ago. It was good. Don't let them scare you.

The economy was being controlled by the Tories and rapidly returned to better times with a balanced budget. I somehow don't see that happening now. Brown has no hope of balancing his budget and the deficit is almost 100 billion this year and 150 Billion estimated for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            Watch my lips..... 'No return to boom and bust' !!!!

That's what it should have been.

Historically, it is the only way to avoid the bust.

This doesn't means that the economy can't have managed growth.

tim

Comment

Of course, what he actually said was "no return to Tory boom and bust"

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                Of course, what he actually said was "no return to Tory boom and bust"
                May 20, 1997, speech by Gordon Brown to the CBI: Quote "Stability is necessary for our future economic success. The British economy of the future must be built not on the shifting sands of boom and bust, but on the bedrock of prudent and wise economic management for the long term. It is only these firm foundations that we can raise Britain's underlying economic performance."

April 28 1998, speech by Gordon Brown British American Business Council in London: Quote "Now it is true to say in Britain that the last forty years has been characterised by stop go, boom bust, instability in economic policy. And so I can tell you that the first objective of the new government has been the determination to ensure monetary and fiscal stability, in place of stop go, and to do so in an economy far more open than the sheltered national economics of the past."

June 10 1999, speech by Gordon Brown at Mansion House: Quote "The way forward is for governments to consciously pursue monetary and fiscal stability through setting clear objectives, establishing proper rules, and requiring openness and transparency - the new rules of the game. Particularly important for a Britain which has been more subject than most economies to the instability of boom-bust cycles and constantly changing policies."

Just three examples, and there are numerous others. Funny, I can't see the word "Tory" in any of those, so would you care to rephrase or withdraw your claim now?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Fairly definitive answer here.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    Watch my lips..... '[b]No return to boom and bust[b/]' !!!!

I think his actual words were 'No return to Tory boom and bust'.

He never said anything about no Labour bust and, boy, is this ever one!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X