• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Browser add-on to cover in-yer-face ads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browser add-on to cover in-yer-face ads

Can't be bothered to develop it myself, and wouldn't have time for a while anyway, but if anyone on the bench needs a development idea ...

Reading the Telegraph, I was very distracted and irritated by an animated ad for Dr Barnardos (a close up of some young gobtulipe in a cell mouthing off into a security camera), so much so that I gave up on the page.

It must be fairly easy to write browser add-ons (for IE and Firefox say) that you could use to pop up a white box which you could adjust by dragging the corners to cover carpy ads like that.

If the app was smarter, it could even figure out which areas of the screen were running an animation and automatically cover them (with the ability to suppress this if you were watching a utube video or something).

Also, you could perhaps make the app a commercial proposition if it displayed ads itself! These ads would obviously have to be more sedate than the obnoxious "in your face" ones the app was covering, or there would be no point using it.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

This does a good job

linky
    Me, me, me...

Comment

There is a Firefox addon that removes ALL ads (well more than 99% in my experience), AdBlock Plus: http://adblockplus.org/en/.

Comment

Yep - I use Adblock Plus and NoScript on my Firefox. Never have a problrm...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

theres a flashblock as well.

Using adblock plus, noscript and flashblock gives a certain streamlined web experience.

Comment

Working...
          X